Solving Basic Trig

CmpFreak88

Alright so I've got my TI-89 and I'm working through my first homework assignment with it, woohoo! And I get to a 3,4,5 right triangle, so I try and use the calculator to solve one of the angles, so I go ahead and input cos^-1(3/5) and then it just spits the same thing back out at me! So I try it with just cos(3/5) and it does the same! Same with tan and sin! Now... I now this calculator does everything, but how do I do this? I think what I'm going to have to do is input approx(cos^-1(3/5)) in order to get my answer? That's kinda lame if you ask me...

You have to set your calculator to Degree mode first, it is set to Radian mode by default.

Or you can convert radians to degrees, or vice versa.

radians--> degrees: (180)/(pie)(radians)

degrees--> radians: (pie)(radians)/(180)

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by lilkev715

Go ahead and enter it just like you were, but instead of pressing enter, press the green diamond key, and then press enter.

I find it easier to leave the exact/approx setting on auto and just press that one extra key when I need the approx, cause I need the exact quite a bit as well.

I was asked (while taking an upper level calc course) what I thought the single greatest invention by man was. I responded with, "The TI-89." Without that beautifully crafted piece of American ingenuity, I would have jumped out of a third floor window multiple times by now. I always thought the 83 was God's gift to man, but when I discovered the capabilities of the 89, I was in awe.

...and yes I believe diamond + enter should convert it to longhand. I remember experiencing that with roots.

I was asked (while taking an upper level calc course) what I thought the single greatest invention by man was. I responded with, "The TI-89." Without that beautifully crafted piece of American ingenuity, I would have jumped out of a third floor window multiple times by now. I always thought the 83 was God's gift to man, but when I discovered the capabilities of the 89, I was in awe.

...and yes I believe diamond + enter should convert it to longhand. I remember experiencing that with roots.

You guys got to use a calculator in class for calc? We never got even touch one at all, everything had to be done using your brain and a pencil... :(

oh come on now... how do you do arccos(3/5) in your head, or even on paper?

do you use slide rule? or draw it out and use a protractor?! :lol:

oh wait... i know... a cosine/sine/tangent lookup table!!!! rofl!!! i've seen those! :lol: