Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Yuck

Car Stereo Receiver <$100

Lookin for a receiver to replace the basic CD player in my 1988 Volvo 240. It already has 4 sony speakers (Two 4", Two 5.25")

It's gotta...

--Read MP3/WMA CDs

--FM/AM

--Built in Amp

--Expandable, I'd like to be able to put a small sub or bass tube in eventually (Pre outs)

--Be under or not much over $100

The following would be nice

--AUX In

----USB in (thumbdrives etc)

--XM or Sirius capable

--ability to read data dvds with MP3/WMA Files (Never seen it, but hey, it's worth a try)

It must not be:

--Panasonic

My speakers are fine at the moment, maybe one day far in the future, I'll put the smallest bass tube I can get in

why dont u like panasonics?

Panasonic is the electronic equivalent of DEATH. I've had 2 video cameras die, one television input, one television speaker (seperate tv), and one VCR on its last legs.

83% of my personal experience with panasonic has been rotten, 17% is the second copy of one of the models I had die.

--Never again.

Pioneer DEH-P3800MP

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...ntrypage=search

looks like thats your best bet

I like the looks of that one, I'll be going to town today to look at various units in person.

I've been lookin on ebay, anyone have experience with Jensens? I see those have lots of features and low prices.

Panasonic is the electronic equivalent of DEATH. I've had 2 video cameras die, one television input, one television speaker (seperate tv), and one VCR on its last legs.

83% of my personal experience with panasonic has been rotten, 17% is the second copy of one of the models I had die.

--Never again.

I like the looks of that one, I'll be going to town today to look at various units in person.

I've been lookin on ebay, anyone have experience with Jensens? I see those have lots of features and low prices.

pioneer > jensen @ any price point

Pioneer > anything else. At any price point.

I'm a huge, HUGE fan of Pioneer head units, and I've dealt with everything from their basic CD player to their top of the line units (at the time, anyways)

Also, IMO, bass tubes aren't worth the hassle. A small subwoofer sounds a million times crisper and ten times louder.

Edited by DevilMB3017

How about this. Panasonic car audio stuff sounds muddy and bad, IMO. I don't know anything about their QC or reliablity. I just know it sounds bad.