Pre-applied Thermal Paste?

Blue_cow

Im just over at a friends house helping him put his new cpu fan on.

heres the link to it... http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1997

theres a pre-applied thermal paste on it, and ive never encountered this stuff before. Do i just plop the fan on? any preperation needed for this stuff?

Its like this buttery layer of paste spread evenly across the bottom of the fan.

Oh, and it's not as good. That stuff's junk. But if you don't care, then just mount up the sink like normal.

Well, obviously it's not as good. Humans are better at everything. :D But techically speaking, there isn't anything outstandingly wrong with it.

I just installed 2 Accelero X2's on my 1900's and used the factory applied thermal paste and it seems to do well. My cards idle at 38c now and were at 42-43c last week. seems to have settled in nicely. Normally on cpu heatsinks i use as5 though.

yeah just put it on as is, people are gonna say ithat pre-applied stuff is junk, and compared to as5 or ceramique, it is but it will still do its job. as long as ur not doing extreme air overclocks with it. if he ever feels like overclocking, just put some as5 as it will lower temps another 3-5C or so. (did me anyways)

If you are worried or don't like the thermal paste you can always take it off and put a different kind on like AS5.

Is what I always do, besides that stuff doesn't last as long and I sleep better at night knowing I have AS5 smeared on my A64

Is what I always do, besides that stuff doesn't last as long and I sleep better at night knowing I have AS5 smeared on my A64

I agree with you on that. I feel more comfortable and at ease with AS5 Applied.

Im just over at a friends house helping him put his new cpu fan on.

heres the link to it... http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=1997

theres a pre-applied thermal paste on it, and ive never encountered this stuff before. Do i just plop the fan on? any preperation needed for this stuff?

Its like this buttery layer of paste spread evenly across the bottom of the fan.

Arctic Cooling ships the cooler with a preapplied layer of the Arctic Cooling MX1 thermal compound.

"This compound hardens during the first 200h while the performance improves steadily. With heating up the paste / heatsink the process can be shortened. The performance is even from the beginning good enough to cool your CPU reliable."