Half-new Computer Won't Boot.

TyraN

Hello,

My old computer (1 year old) broke down and It seemed like the motherboard went dead so I bought a new Mobo and PSU and threw away my old Mobo and weak 250w PSU to make sure I won't get anymore problems. Well I was wrong because I can't get pass the first Bios screen (5-10secondes after boot) , the computer just shuts down after 10 sec MAX.

New parts :

Mobo : Asus P5GD1 PRO Socket 775

PSU : Antec Smart Power 2.0 500W

From old computer :

Processor: P4 550j Socket 775 3.2 Ghz

GFX : ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb v/ram

Ram : 2x1 Gig Kingston DDR400

HDD : SATA Western Digital 120Gig

DVD Burner 16x

I looked at the processor and compared it to a big picture of the processor on google and they looked exactly the same... I guess my processor could be badly seated but you can't really do that with the socket 775 unless you force it and break it.

I tried moving around the 2 Ram sticks in the 4 slots the mobo allows me and tried with 1 stick but still same problem. I tried booting whitout the HD , GFX , DVD rom and memory but still same problem.

THIS IS THE FIRST PC I BUILT so maybe other wire problems but I don't think so.

I would really appreciate if somebody could help me !

Thanks alot

Tyran

Edited by TyraN

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean it won't boot?

As in it won't POST? Or POST is successful and windows does not "boot".

If the ladder you need to either reinstall or run a repair of windows because you changed motherboards.

EDit:^ NVM saw line.

If the first option, Try doing the bare minimum test out side of the case in which you try for a successful POST by only connection CPU, RAM and video card.

Also make sure the powersupply/motherboard isn't grounding out on anything.

Ok , what does grounding mean ?

I'll soon post the pic of the 24pin cable from the power supply to the Mobo , well there is 1 pin thats empty and there are 2 cables going into 1 pin.

This is the pic of the empty pin , is this normal ?

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5831/occnr8.th.jpg

This pic shows the 3 cables going into 2 pins.

UPDATE : PICTURE Of when it just shuts down , 1 sec after I took this pic the computer shut down.

http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00805sk4.jpg

Edited by TyraN

it seems like after it leaves the "scanning" phase that it is shutting off, correct?

From what I can see, your rig is detecting your primary drive as being a master in a 3rd IDE channel (which I didn't realize was possible). Try checking out the pins on the HD and make sure the jumper is set to master, then disconnect any other devices on the IDE cable it is connected to and connect the cable to IDE 1 (or 0 if available) on the motherboard.

I would also check BIOS to see your boot order to find out what it's trying to boot from first, and see if you can change it to another device to try booting from first instead.

side note: your POST screen indicates you have a USB drive connected at time of boot. I'd try disconnecting that as well ;)

To update everyone on this thread.

I've been on msn with TyraN for a while.

We removed the Motherboard from the case, and placed it on a anti static bag.

With minimun components. Processor, Heatsink/Fan, Graphics Card, Memory.

The same problem still persists.

____

Ive got him to reseat his heatsink/fan still the same problem. And the processor isn't hot to touch.

____

We have swapped Memory (Different Slots/ Different Sticks) & tried it without a graphics card and it still has the same problem.

____

So surely that rules out, HDD's, CD/RW, Graphics Card, Memory.

Only leaves the Motherboard, Processor and PSU.

_____

Can someone verify, the Antec PSU is ATX 2.0 is the same as the motherboard?

i'm now leaning towards the mobo being the cause. if it was the cpu, then it wouldn't be able to even POST, and if it was the PSU, it'd shut back down a lot faster then 5-10 seconds.... just my guess :rolleyes:

To answer Fire storm , I only reached that bios screen like 3 times out of 20 attempts. Managed only to get that screen before it shut down , I'll write what it says :

ASUS P5GD1 Pro ACPI BIOS Revision 1012

CPU : Intel

Edited by TyraN

ah! wait a sec, now you are saying it doesn't get that far every time? i was under the impression that 100 out of 100 times that it would always be able to atleast POST and stay on for about 5-10 seconds and then die right after it's done "scanning"....

does it usually give you a little more time if you let your rig cool down for a litte while? if so, then i'm sorry to flip my opinions around like a pancake, but i would in that case blame the PSU as it sounds like it's possibly faulty and overheating... :P

to fill in the blanks for everyone else this is the best i could get:

ASUS P5GD1 Pro ACPI BIOS Revision 1012

CPU : Intel

Yeah well when I get there and I try again 2 sec later I won't reach the BIOS , it will shut down before , yeah so when I let it cool down it reaches to the bios screen ,

UPDATE : When it's outside of the case I can't reach the bios screen even when I let it cool down completely