Sign in to follow this  
Ste

Cpu Mark Up?

Kind of A random question, But lets say the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ is Sold for 307$ On newegg.

What is the total Profit on that sale, and or what is the mark up on average for Dual core or High end processors? How much Does it cost to Manufacture that processor?

Does anyone know a figure?

I read a while back that it costs Intel about 40 dollars to make a chip. Maybe thats a ballpark range for AMD.

retailers usually (here in the UK) make around a 25% markup plus 17.5% VAT in most cases. it's mostly about 35% for a retailer which means a lot more for AMD/Intel ;)

Yeah the manufacturers make a pretty penny, but not as much as Abercrombie or American Eagle :P

Costs .50 to make the shirt, and sell it for $30.

Ya, I was wondering Because The pizzas made at a local resturant are made for 3-4 $ but sold for 15-20$ depending on the toppings.

Even though Pizzas and Processors have nothing to do with each other . :P

(D)am, Now I want a Pizza. ;)

consider EVERY SINGLE chip is make the same way, the same methods, with the same materials on the same lines. so figure it's outragous

Ya, I was wondering Because The pizzas made at a local resturant are made for 3-4 $ but sold for 15-20$ depending on the toppings.

Even though Pizzas and Processors have nothing to do with each other . :P

(D)am, Now I want a Pizza. ;)

food on average in a restaurant is a 300% markup. clearly more in posh places...lol

and bigred is totally right. there are no variations in the manufacturing process so even lower costs.

They might be cheap to manufacture, but someone's gotta pay all those engineers' salaries. Usually us.

Someone's gotta pay all those engineers' salaries.

Not to mention TV ads, billboards, CEO partys, private jets, that guy in marketing who makes the coffee, the Indian tech support consultants.

CPU markup isn't half as bad as cables. The markup of cables could be the biggest percentage markup I know of lol.