Sign in to follow this  
Ste

Put It Into Perspective.

How long have Humans Exsisted? As evidence suggests maybe 50,000 years at the minimum...

How much longer do you thanks Humans will be able to exsist on this Planet? This Varies greatly, I believe at the rate human kind is consumming natural resources and how we treat the enviroment, maybe another 500 or a 1000 years. Maybe.

Lets now compare those thoughts to how old the universe is thought to be. The average amount is around 13-15 Billion years old. So As you can See Humans have exsisted for a Small Fraction of the universes Age and Humans will continue exsisting for alot less then a fraction of that.

Now Lets talk about our Sun. Our Sun whether you think of it as a Main Sequence Star or not, thats what it is. It is theorized that in about 5 Billion years Nuclear Fusion at its core Will cease and it will evolve into a Red Giant. During this transition Phase The Suns Diameter will extend to engulf Mercury, Venus and prehaps Even Earth. It is also theorized that By this time the Suns Mass may decrease enough to allow the planet Earths orbit to be extended and Not be engulfed.. In any case Humans will most likely not exsist long enough to see this Happen. If the Planet Is not engulfed and Humans somehow manage to exsist after that, It is theorized that Our sun will shed its outer most layers of Gas and form A Planetary Nebula, At Such time the Expanding Gases and Material from the sun will Cause all life on earth to cease if still present. It will Then Cool to a White Dwarf then A Black Dwarf. Currently No Black Dwarfs are thought to exsist.

Currently the light Earth Detects from the Andromeda Galaxy Is Blue Shifted, Therefore it is thought That Our Two Galaxies will Collide in around 3 Billion years.

Again, Humans will most likely not exsist long enough to see such an event.

I thought this would be an interesting thread, Lets hear some thought provoking responses now.

Please Forgive Any grammatical or Spelling Mistakes I have made, I did my best to correct them. I also abuse the use of capital letters.

Sources:

My High Schools Advanced Space Science Class

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/ga.../colliding.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_nebula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dwarf

The way i see unless a lot happens, we'll all be happily dead by then. So yeah I suddenly have the urge to just not care...

Actually, recent developments have showed that the human population will stabilize at 10Billion souls sometime around 2030 and 2050. So it's not a continuously upward trend of feeding more mouths than we have food for. Geneticists have been working on expanding our already genetically enhanced crops in order to feed all these new people. Natural resources will obviously wear thin as we continue life on this planet, but you're underestimating mankind's ability to survive during times of scarcity. Sure, we may take a population hit, but just because the oil is going to run out doesn't mean we as a species will die out. We're much too smart to stake our entire existance on a non-renewable resource. We have at least 10 to 15 years before the oil supply peaks and begins to drop. That's 10 to 15 years of energy research.

Now you begin to speak in vast quantities of time. You're making a huge assumption that even in the next thousand years we'll still be stuck on this planet. In the past hundred years alone we've made advances by leaps and bounds. We went from fighting the Civil War on horseback to fighting WWII with an atomic bomb, in less than a hundred years. I'm pretty sure the human race will advance even further in the next century or two.

Finally, we can't forget about evolution. Or in human terms, genetic enhancements. If given the chance to remove all genetic diseases from my DNA so that my children won't have to suffer obesity, renal failure, or heart disease, I would jump on the opportunity. I'm not asking for designer babies, I'm asking for my child to have a body that won't kill itself in 40 or 50 years because of some gene that was needed for my ancestor's survival thousands of years ago but in current ages results in cancer.

I agree that we probably won't be around to witness such things as the Andromeda Galaxy plowing through the Milkyway or watch the sun fry our planet. However, I do give the human race more credit than lasting only a few more centuries. I guess I'm just an optimist :P

what is prospective?

(in this context)

Yaaa, <_< Lol. I dunnue..

Actually, recent developments have showed that the human population will stabilize at 10Billion souls sometime around 2030 and 2050. So it's not a continuously upward trend of feeding more mouths than we have food for. Geneticists have been working on expanding our already genetically enhanced crops in order to feed all these new people. Natural resources will obviously wear thin as we continue life on this planet, but you're underestimating mankind's ability to survive during times of scarcity. Sure, we may take a population hit, but just because the oil is going to run out doesn't mean we as a species will die out. We're much too smart to stake our entire existance on a non-renewable resource. We have at least 10 to 15 years before the oil supply peaks and begins to drop. That's 10 to 15 years of energy research.

Now you begin to speak in vast quantities of time. You're making a huge assumption that even in the next thousand years we'll still be stuck on this planet. In the past hundred years alone we've made advances by leaps and bounds. We went from fighting the Civil War on horseback to fighting WWII with an atomic bomb, in less than a hundred years. I'm pretty sure the human race will advance even further in the next century or two.

Finally, we can't forget about evolution. Or in human terms, genetic enhancements. If given the chance to remove all genetic diseases from my DNA so that my children won't have to suffer obesity, renal failure, or heart disease, I would jump on the opportunity. I'm not asking for designer babies, I'm asking for my child to have a body that won't kill itself in 40 or 50 years because of some gene that was needed for my ancestor's survival thousands of years ago but in current ages results in cancer.

I agree that we probably won't be around to witness such things as the Andromeda Galaxy plowing through the Milkyway or watch the sun fry our planet. However, I do give the human race more credit than lasting only a few more centuries. I guess I'm just an optimist :P

I have high hopes for humanity also, I wish we can go "Star trek" Like in maybe 500 years or so. But I just don't see it happening. I know it would be cool to leave this planet with the vast majority of its population, But I still don't see it happening.

Wait until hardnrg sees the title....

"PROSPECTIVE isn't a word dangIT!"

:lol:

Yes, but the word you want is "perspective" not "prospective."

Ya, I realized right after I posted it.

What are you guys talking about? The thread uses the right word...

Hehe

It is an interesting question, but we will never know. That's the hard part about it. I'd prefer the 'nuclear winter, we kill ourselves theory' due to Occam's Razor.