How To Repair A Harddrive File System?

BlaineBug

Hey, I've got a drive here which was having some issues.

Well now it seems the issues have disappeared. But there is a larger problem - I cannot access the drive!

When I try to access the drive it gives me an error. When I right click it, no information is displayed about the drive other than it is a "RAW" (????) File System...

Is there anyway I can temporarily fix this issue long enough to let me get my files onto a new harddrive?

Let me know, thanks!

Also, here are 2 screenshots of what errors I get. I also get common errors when I tried Knoppix. Knoppix was recommended to me, although it didn't help with this issue.

Thanks again!

HardDriveError.JPG

HardDriveError2.JPG

Right click "My Computer". Then "Management". In the right-pane on the bottom find "Disk Management" Double-Click. A window should open. Look for the drive in question there.
That won't let him access the drive though.

Try this little program here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Read the instructions and/or faqs if you don't know what to do, but I had basically the same problem after transferring a mirrored array and messing it up because of different controllers. Anyways, this program deep-scanned it and found all my files completely intact and recovered them for me :)

That's right..No dispute there but what I'm thinking is that he won't be able to access the drive. I've Seen this before and I'm sure you have also. BUT now that you gave him that option, let's see if that works. If not then, doing what I anticipated is inevitable. good luck

I'm using the program and when I try to "list files" with the program it says that no backup has been found.

Any other recommendations with this program? It is identifying the drive has having an NTFS file system.

Oh, on another note, I tried using the second program included (photorec_win)

When using this it was putting photos and documents i had on my Seagate drive, which is great!

Will files also be transferred?

What is the difference between photorec_win and testdisk_win?

I'm using the program and when I try to "list files" with the program it says that no backup has been found.

Any other recommendations with this program? It is identifying the drive has having an NTFS file system.

Oh, on another note, I tried using the second program included (photorec_win)

When using this it was putting photos and documents i had on my Seagate drive, which is great!

Will files also be transferred?

What is the difference between photorec_win and testdisk_win?

select the drive

select "analyze"

select "proceed"

after that's done, "quit" will be highlighted probably. move over to "Search!" and select that. That's how you enable the deepscan if i recall correctly. Like I said, check the faq's. I have to leave for home right now, but if you need more help, I may be able to check it out tomorrow morning.

Yes, did that. It searches for other partitions.

I tried to list files but it said it was unreadable.

However when I use the other program it backs up photos by itself. Only problem is the drive stops every so often and clicks because it is defective.

If it continues to do that I'll put it in the freezer for a few hours as recommended earlier.

I am seeing it...OMG! it's the light!!!! Stay away from the liiiiiight!! Run, Run. Run...!!! **cough** Format **cough**

No but really, Hey there must be important stuff on this drive huh?

No, after I get some of my files off it is going straight back to Maxtor. I already did an advanced RMA and got the replacement drive yesterday.

It's a bad drive - just trying to get back whatever I can.

Oh-Oh..I heard Maxtor. -*-*Mumbling to myself*-*- Fricken Maxtor

Well my new 300 gig drive is from Seagate, if that makes you feel better :)

I was able to recover almost all of my photos. But I did not recover .exe files because that would have copied programs too...which I didn't want.

So for the most part I am satisfied - better outcome than I expected. Will be shipping the Maxtor drive back on Saturday probably. I already got the new drive from Maxtor, which will be my back-up.