Nvidia Or Ati

NinjaDude

Ok i know theres already a post on this but.. i want to know strait out what GPU is better. nVidia or ATI. iwas thinking about getting an XFX 6800 GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E. i know ATI has better clockspeed. any comments on whats better?

nvidia and ati are manufacturers, not gpu's... a gpu would determine an individual card... that's the difference... it's like comparing mercedes to lamborghini... both make fast cars, and both make big old slow trucks and tractors lol... you can't compare a track-car to a combine-harvester...

so how about asking 6800GS vs X800GTO2 or something... they're around the same price bracket i think...

for those X800GTO2 all the way, cause you can do the pixelpipelines unlocking thing!

4 extra pipelines = x850xt, overclocking up to x850xtpe on stock cooler!!!!

that could almost come near a 7800GT, but is definetly on the level of a 6800 Ultra!

If you play a lot of DirectX games, ATI chipsets tend to be better for those, while nVidia chipsets are faster in OpenGL. These days the match is rather close when it comes between either maker's high-end cards, it's more of a personal opinion. You just need to compare the cards you're looking at and make an informed decision on which one fits your needs better.

However, if you're looking to watch and capture television in one card, only ATI offers a good solution for that.

My last couple of cards have been ATI, specifically for the "All-in-Wonder" model that allows me to have all the inputs and outputs I want. I am also a little bit swayed towards ATI cos I had a fan fail on an nVidia card a long time ago, still have bad memories of that. Shouldn't be an issue for your choice, though.

If you play a lot of DirectX games, ATI chipsets tend to be better for those, while nVidia chipsets are faster in OpenGL. These days the match is rather close when it comes between either maker's high-end cards, it's more of a personal opinion.

The X1800 series ATi cards with cat 5.11 drivers or later are faster than Nvidia in OpenGL applications.

Edited by Nagash

for those X800GTO2 all the way, cause you can do the pixelpipelines unlocking thing!

4 extra pipelines = x850xt, overclocking up to x850xtpe on stock cooler!!!!

that could almost come near a 7800GT, but is definetly on the level of a 6800 Ultra!

the GTO craze is over i think, you can get a x850XT for $220 from the egg now, no need to unlock, just overclock a bit

get the 6800GS, there's nothing in that price range, other than the x850XT that compares to it in general, considering speed, price, and features, especially if it's a AGP card, the NV40 6800GS AGP's are unlocking really well apparrently and overclock much better than the NV40 6800GT's did, it looks to me like making a 6800GS AGP run faster than a 6800Ultra ever did is pretty easy, and for $200.......can't beat that