Sign in to follow this  
genjutsu

Wut's Wrong With My Cpu And Heatsink? Plz Help

hey ppl i need all you experts for help. i recently bought a new cpu (intel p4 3.0ghz with heatsink/fan) and i putted the chip in and followed instructions and stuff but there were some other problems and i never was able to install windows on the comp. Then one day while i was doing anyway i could to find the problem, another problem occured, when i started comp after a couple of seconds it brought me to a different screen telling me that my processor had some temperature problem (i think it said temperature too high). Then when i took out the heatsink and looked at cpu, i noticed it was very hot and had some melted rubber stuff (not liquid form though, just very easily scraped off). The bits of melted rubber were on the cpu and on the bottom of the fan or wutever. I looked everywhere until i read the direction/steps manual where i noticed it said "Be careful not to damage the thermal interface material attached to the bottom of the fan heatsink." that's when i started getting scared that i can't use them anymore. so can anyone help me confirm wut the rubbery stuff were? And did it damaged my cpu or heatsink/fan? Also anyone know why it would say my cpu was overheated? Any help is appreciated thank you.

Edited by genjutsu

That "rubbery stuff" was probably the thermal pad (the thermal interface material you mentioned) melting.

Here's what I would do. Scrape that stuff off and clean the bottom of the heatsink and your processor, preferably with 91% or better isopropyl alcohol. Then get yourself some thermal paste, preferable something from Arctic Silver. If it's not readily available, then get something generic at your local tech store (though I highly recommend products by AS). Follow the directions to apply the thermal paste on there and then re-attach the heatsink. Make sure you have it on properly. In my opinion, the best way to figure out whether it's attached properly is to put a dab of thermal paste on the middle of your processor and then attach the heatsink. Then take the heatsink off and see how much the paste has spread. If it's spread evenly and covers a large area, you're good. Reapply and stick the heatsink back on there.

Fire up your machine and go straight to your BIOS. Check temps, make sure they're reasonable (below 65C) and that they're steady. If they fluctuate, you may have another problem.

That is the thermal pad. It promotes heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink. Scrape that stuff off the heatsink and the processor fully and then apply some thermal compound, which you can buy at Compusa or a similar store, as per the included instructions. It has many different names:

-Thermal paste

-Thermal compound

-Thermal Interface Material

and more...

This is necessary for the operation of the computer. You must have damaged it while putting the HSF on the processor.

-Thermal Interface Material

That's the technical name for the thermal pad.

Genjutsu, just make sure you get a little tube of something rather than a flat pinkish-square

That "rubbery stuff" was probably the thermal pad (the thermal interface material you mentioned) melting.

Here's what I would do. Scrape that stuff off and clean the bottom of the heatsink and your processor, preferably with 91% or better isopropyl alcohol. Then get yourself some thermal paste, preferable something from Arctic Silver. If it's not readily available, then get something generic at your local tech store (though I highly recommend products by AS). Follow the directions to apply the thermal paste on there and then re-attach the heatsink. Make sure you have it on properly. In my opinion, the best way to figure out whether it's attached properly is to put a dab of thermal paste on the middle of your processor and then attach the heatsink. Then take the heatsink off and see how much the paste has spread. If it's spread evenly and covers a large area, you're good. Reapply and stick the heatsink back on there.

Fire up your machine and go straight to your BIOS. Check temps, make sure they're reasonable (below 65C) and that they're steady. If they fluctuate, you may have another problem.

:withstupid:

good thermal paste will help drop temps, also, putting on a new cooler or higher speed fan will help too. blow off all the dust inside, and you might want to make sure that the case has decent airflow in it. everything in your computer is air cooled. so make sure the hot air can leave and the cool air can come in.

btw welcome to the occ

heres the deal- did you scratch teh mirror finish on the cpu or heatsink at ALL when removing the thermal paste? if not, then ur ok. get some arctic silver 5 and apply it with the instrucions on their site. that should fix the problems. a cpu with no thermal compound will go up in smoke. remember, when u put on compound, less is better, but you want a nice even coverage.

hmm ok i know what's the thermal interface material now and thanks for all the help. Now i just need to buy it. The only thing i'm concerned is how much i need to put on it? like does it have to cover like 100% or 80% of the metal surface of the cpu and also how thick? And do i have to put the thermal interface material onto the bottom of the heatsinkfan too? also when i clean it using that substance, do i like just poor the liquid on top of it or do i soak some onto a clean lint-free cloth then wipe away the old thermal interface material?

ok i checked compusa and they have arctic silver 5 so i'll get it from there. if possible can someone tell me where to buy that isopropyl alcohol though? thank you sooo much for the help

oh and by the way can you tell me where do i check the temperature in the BIOS?

Edited by genjutsu

hmm ok i know what's the thermal interface material now and thanks for all the help. Now i just need to buy it. The only thing i'm concerned is how much i need to put on it? like does it have to cover like 100% or 80% of the metal surface of the cpu and also how thick? And do i have to put the thermal interface material onto the bottom of the heatsinkfan too? also when i clean it using that substance, do i like just poor the liquid on top of it or do i soak some onto a clean lint-free cloth then wipe away the old thermal interface material?

ok i checked compusa and they have arctic silver 5 so i'll get it from there. if possible can someone tell me where to buy that isopropyl alcohol though? thank you sooo much for the help

oh and by the way can you tell me where do i check the temperature in the BIOS?

ok, usually a drop the size of a rice grain will do it,

as for the temp moniter... you CAN use the BIOS... but check in your manual, usually its under hardware moniter

If you cant find Iso alcohol, use Arcti Clean from Arctic Silver, it is better than Iso Alcohol, but not necessary if your not overclocking

Isopropyl alcohol can generally be found at your local drugstore or pharmacy. Get the purest version you can (anything above 90% is good, try to avoid anything less than that)

As for cleaing, get yourself a lint free cloth and some Q-tips. Use the cloth on the bottom of the heatsink and the Q-tips on the processor itself. Don't pour it on, just dab it on the cloth or dip the Q-tip into it. Remember, NEVER double dip, otherwise you'll contaminate the alcohol.

If you're getting some Arctic Silver 5, then just go to their website and follow the directions on how to apply. Some people may differ in the "official" application procedure, but from what I've seen, processors with Integrated Heat Spreaders (IHS) just need a small dab in the center, unlike processors with exposed cores, where you should spread AS5 across the entire core.

i think i'm gonna get the isopropyl alcohol since it's cheap i found at walgreens.

There's also another question, if i dip a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol then clear out all the thermal interface material won't there be some alcohol left behind? is it ok to leave the alcohol on it or do i have to wash it off with water?

And also the question i asked earlier, do i have to put thermal interface material on the bottom of the fanheatsink?

Edited by genjutsu

Alcohol's evaporation temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, so after sitting around for a few seconds it'll just disappear.

As for applying thermal compound on the heatsink, it's generally not needed unless you need to squeeze every little bit of performance out of your heatsink.