Proposed New Rig

digger

Hi . I'm upgrading my toy very soon and need imput.Got about $2000 AUS to blow on it. New Components will be

1;Opteron 165/170

2;2x7800 gtx xpertvision 256mb

3;DFI 939 lan party xpert SLI

4;PSU????????????

I'm on another forum where I suggested a PC Power and Cooling 510. This PSU has 34amps on a single 12v rail. The boys on that forum are suggesting I need more grunt but no one wants to suggest what I should use.

I'm open to suggestions about this.

I am aware that the M2 SKT is on its way as well as new cards from Nvidia but they will be as dear as poison initially and this rig will run whatever I throw at it atm.

Thanx in advance for suggestions /help Cheers digger

Emailed manufacturers at PC Power. The Turbo Cool 510 is in fact not enough for my power supply. They suggest the next model up which is 850 Watt. This is to allow for future upgrades and to power what I'm running now. Overkill I think. I might as well buy a power station LOL. Back to the drawing board.

Is anyone here actually running SLI or are we like my mates on the other forum who are all running SLI capable mobo's with one card. If so what are you using? :foldon:

I don't why PC Power would want to discourage you like that.. they are obviously going for the hard sell on that one :lol: .

I can't think of anything approaching a regular setup which would require their 850w model.

You are just setting up an SLi rig. I would expect the 510w to be able to power it just fine. You may want the SLi secific version of it, but they are both identical spec wise as far as I can see.

Any of the SLi capable power supplies in the recommended power supply thread should also do a good job of it I would think.

Sweet rig you shall have there dude!! :)

Try looking here for information on what PSU to get PSU

Goodluck with your new rig!

In addition to that, take a look at this link:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29871

Personally, I like the Enermax Liberty series. Some people like the modular cables, others don't. Stay away from the Antec Neos for the time being, they seem to be having some issues.

Firstly thanx to Bitchplz & Bleeble&Jammin for your input. I have checked Bitchplz's link and that suggests the PC Power 510 is enuff and as soon as I post this I will check your links in depth Bleeble as I've only skimmed it now.

My full rig specs are

CPU=165/170 opteron

VGA= 2x7800 GT/X 256mb

RAM=4x512mb Corsair PC4000

1X LG DVD Rom drive +Sony dual layer Burner

Corsair Watercooling System

Sound= Creative 2z ZS platinum

HDD's= 2x36gb Raptors(WD) in Raid0 +2x250gb Seagates in Raid 1

I intend as per usual to overclock the backside outa everthing as I'm already doing with my present system.

I'm sorta thinking to be on the safe side I should maybe looking at something around the 600/650 watt but really wanted to stay with Pc power/ Seasonic/Tagan but will look into the Enermax now as well.

:foldon:

Edited by digger

Firstly thanx to Bitchplz & Bleeble&Jammin for your input. I have checked Bitchplz's link and that suggests the PC Power 510 is enuff and as soon as I post this I will check your links in depth Bleeble as I've only skimmed it now.

My full rig specs are

CPU=165/170 opteron

VGA= 2x7800 GT/X 256mb

RAM=4x512mb Corsair PC4000

1X LG DVD Rom drive +Sony dual layer Burner

Corsair Watercooling System

Sound= Creative 2z ZS platinum

HDD's= 2x36gb Raptors(WD) in Raid0 +2x250gb Seagates in Raid 1

I intend as per usual to overclock the backside outa everthing as I'm already doing with my present system.

I'm sorta thinking to be on the safe side I should maybe looking at something around the 600/650 watt but really wanted to stay with Pc power/ Seasonic/Tagan but will look into the Enermax now as well.

:foldon:

I don't know how the performance is with the Corsair watercooling, but I do know that Asetek and Dangergen make VERY good watercooling systems. Hopefully someone else can comment on the Corsair.

If you game with headphones, the Creative X-Fi will be better. Even with nice speakers it's hard to tell the difference between an Audigy2 ZS and an X-Fi. If you want the front thing that comes with the Platinum edition, the X-Fi version is probably a lot more (too lazy to check). Personally, I'd grab the X-Fi XtremeMusic for $113 from ZipZoomFly with free 2-day Fedex... but that's just me ;)

You may be better off going with two 1GB DIMMs instead of four 512s. You might get lower latencies the way you have it now, but you'll have to run at 2T. Take a look at the link in my sig and look under "Memory".

All the components with the exception of the CPU/ VGA/DFI are being swapped out of my existing system in an attempt to keep cost's down.

I'm basically only going to run this for about 12 months and then rebuild again with the M2 socket. I've had Intel systems to date and am using this system to experiment with O/C AMD CPU's.

The Corsair w/cooling has enabled me to o/c my 3gig P4 to 3.52 gig and remain stable using prime 95 about 100hrs/Folding@home which is 24/7. Was originally going to upgrade that to the Asetek Vaporchill one of which I can get here in AUS for $600 (it's a 2003 model) but have dropped off because of supposed conflicts with DFI mobos.

Ideally I'd rather Muskin Redline/ OZC Ram (in 1gb sticks) but money does'nt allow and considering I'm junking the whole thing this time next year it's not worth the added expense. If someone here (AUS) bought my Ram then I would upgrade the Ram but................ :foldon:

I'm changing a few things here.

Cpu willbe a 170 opteron.

VGA NOW 2X256MB 7800GT XFX

PSU NOW a Silverstone ST652f 650 watt with quad 12v rails smart cabling etc

RAM NOW 2x1gb OCZ PC 4000 PLATINUM @2.3.3.8

Mobo as stated originally.

Thanks for input to those few that bothered. :foldon:

for VGA, go with eVGA. Awesome, just awesome. haha

Would like to but here in OZ they'e as dear as sin. Likewise BFG. Not sure why but thats the way it is. XFX are a reasonable card and a little less in price. :foldon: