Recommended Power Supplies List

Added NorthQ Giant Connector 850W - Review data Here.

Note: Enhance built (there are already a few Enhance built PSUs on the list.. the CM Real Power Pro being an example). You are also likely to only find this unit in Europe, so if anyone spots one Stateside then let me know, as I would be interested to see how they would price it over there.

I dont think OCZ deserves to be on the list (due to low efficiency at high loads and high ripple issues on nearly all there units) but thats just my opinion and a preference that i would never trust them on any of my builds. Add SPI, and Mushkin then you will have a great list.

Edited by damian

I dont think OCZ deserves to be on the list (due to low efficiency at high loads and high ripple issues on nearly all there units) but thats just my opinion and a preference that i would never trust them on any of my builds. Add SPI, and Mushkin then you will have a great list.

Thanks for the input. It's certainly nice to get some suggestions. :)

I do tend to ask for reliable data to back up any opinions put forward for changes though, so if you can do that I'll be more than happy to look it over and make a decision.

It is true that the FSP platform that some of the OCZ units are based on can have some problems with ripple (GameXStream / StealthXStream).

That particular problem is more prevalent on the higher rated models (it's why the 1010W version is notably absent).

In general, the series represents pretty good value for money.. though the higher rated models (850W / 700W) may find themselves falling off the list as other units get added.

The ProXStream and EliteXStream are built on different platforms and don't really suffer from the same DC output quality issues as far as I'm aware.

Find me evidence for Mushkin (haven't seen anything warranting the addition of their units so far).

SPI / Sparkle are basically rebadged FSP, all the product numbers are pretty much identical or exactly identical.

Edited by jammin

I do agree there higher end units are "ok" but there most popular unit is the OZC GameXstream 700w, and alot of people tend to buy this unit which is sad. The efficiency decreases at 500w to 78% and lower (78% is not that bad though)but has some serious ripple issues.

As stated on Jonny Guru

"A representative of OCZ did find my findings concerning and asked that I return the unit for an exchange. I did so, and in the interim I obtained an FSP Epsilon 600W. The 600W version of the power supply the OCZ GameXstream is based on. In testing that unit, I found a good deal of ripple as well. When a brand new GameXstream was finally returned to me, I immediately plugged it in and found the same results as the first sample."

-source

http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDRe...ry2&reid=24

So the most popular 700w model that everyone is buying is the one that worries me the most of all there units, seems to me that alot of people are blind to this matter.

As for Muskin theres only 2 units i would recommend the 550250 580w unit which can be had as low as $100 on newegg (to bad newegg only ships to America) and the 550300 800w unit

550250 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817812004

550300- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817812006

I'll do some more research on the GameXStream ripple issue to see what else I can find out.

Ideally I'd like to see some test results from a more recent sample (revisions tend to be made without any indication of such).

The GameXStream line has been going for a while now, so it could probably be retired.

I'd like to see OCZ replace it with something more competitive with current offerings from other brands.

I'll remove the 700W and 850W versions provisionally and it will remain that way unless I find evidence that they deserve to be put back.

Have either of those Muskin units been reviewed and put through a proper load tester?

Removed OCZ GameXStream 700W + 850W - possible ripple issues at high loads. May be reinstated if test data can be found that shows recent samples have improved.

Edited by jammin

As for Muskin theres only 2 units i would recommend the 550250 580w unit which can be had as low as $100 on newegg (to bad newegg only ships to America) and the 550300 800w unit

550250 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817812004

550300- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817812006

I did a quick check to see who the OEM for these units is (newegg's pictures are very helpful).

Both have a UL number of E130843 - Topower

I wouldn't consider Topower to be up there in the OEM stakes when compared with Seasonic, CWT, Enhance etc. (there isn't a Topower supply on the list as far as I'm aware).

Therefore some strong evidence will definitely be needed.

Edited by jammin

Yeah, I guess I should really.

Removed FSP Epsilon 700W - again, possible ripple issues.

I'm not sure whether to cut the 600W versions as well.

I'm just going to do a quick price comparison to other PSUs on the list as that comes into it.

For the 700W+ there are definitely better PSUs for the money.

edit - OK, the 600W versions of both the Epsilon and the GameXStream have to compete with things like the VX550, TX650 and PCP&C Silencer 610 on price so it's harder to recommend them.

Removed FSP Epsilon 600W + OCZ GameXStream 600W - concerns about ripple with the FSP platform, plus strong competition in the same price bracket.

I think the FSP branded Epsilons may have been given an update recently, but until they go through some testing (if they even do) I can't really make any conclusions.

I wish I had enough money to go out and test all these myself.

Edited by jammin

I dont know how accurate OCCT is when the chart pops up at the end showing volts/temps/ripple, if it is any where near correct from what I have seen the Enermax Galaxy 1000 has ripple issues also. I ran it on one of my PC P & C 610 and there was 0 ripple. I will check it farther when I have time...

I wouldn't rely on any software which basically takes reading from the motherboard.

I haven't seen any reports of the Galaxy having issues with ripple.