Recommended Power Supplies List

No Tagan PSU's? I was told by the guy at scan that Tagan are a quallity brand and very reliable (and not cheap!)

Tagan is a bit tricky. I haven't seen many go through reviews that use decent load testers.

I'll see what evidence I can track down though.

As far as I know, Tagan is still using Topower as its OEM. More brands used them a while ago (it's easier find data when there are more PSUs based on the same platform), but not so much now.

Price does come into it as well.

If something is consistently more expensive than the well established models on the list (without noticeably improved performance), it makes it harder to justify an addition.

I will note that fortunately, PSUs in general have moved on considerably from where they were a few years ago.

So as long as you don't go for the super cheap PSUs still around you should get something that is reasonably efficient and (hopefully) reliable.

Edited by jammin

Of the Tagan Reviews I have seen, the TurboJet TG1100-U95 is the only one that has been bad.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/403/1

The reviewer was not able to pull the rated power at the labled temparture, or something.. So it really more of a 850 Watt than it is a 1.1 Kilowatt, at least, so says the reviewer.

Edited by Ste

• 2 weeks later...

Added Hiper Type R II 880W + Type M 880W - Review data Here.

Note: New revisions. I'm not sure what is out in the retail channel at the moment, so it's difficult to say what you would actually get if you bought one now. The old revision has supposedly been discontinued though.

Note2: I haven't given them a modular label because the system they use doesn't fit in line with what you would expect considering all other modular supplies. It would be therefore be slightly confusing to add it.

Added Thermaltake Purepower RX 600W - Review data Here.

Hopefully with the changes coming to our own power supply testing process, I will be able to start referencing OCC reviews as well. :)

Edited by jammin

Added a link to Everything You Need To Know About Power Supplies @ Hardware Secrets in the sources at the beginning of the list (remember, they are all worth a read).

This is a great starting point if you don't know much about power supplies and covers all the important points clearly without going into too much technical detail.

Edited by jammin

It's mainly due to the lack of suitable test data.

I haven't really seen any Muskin supplies going through the review sites that do a thorough analysis (which is what our new test process is aiming to address).

This was also touched on back on page 3. :)

It's certainly entirely possible that there are some good PSUs that aren't on the list simply because the evidence isn't there.

I originally set up the list to try and provide the best guide I could for PSUs known to be of good quality.

It's true that a few probably made it on there to start with that haven't got the evidence to back them up that I look for now, but hopefully most that don't deserve to be there have been weeded out.

It's never going to be perfect, I just do the best I can with the resources available.

Edited by jammin

It's mainly due to the lack of suitable test data.

I haven't really seen any Muskin supplies going through the review sites that do a thorough analysis (which is what our new test process is aiming to address).

This was also touched on back on page 3. :)

It's certainly entirely possible that there are some good PSUs that aren't on the list simply because the evidence isn't there.

I originally set up the list to try and provide the best guide I could for PSUs known to be of good quality.

It's true that a few probably made it on there to start with that haven't got the evidence to back them up that I look for now, but hopefully most that don't deserve to be there have been weeded out.

It's never going to be perfect, I just do the best I can with the resources available.

Understandable, but I wasn't just basing it on OCC's reviews...just listed those because...well...it's us ;)

For the OCC EC one I linked to above, here's one:

XtremeSystems - 9/10 Rating

For the OCC Gold one, here's one:

techPowerUp - 8.6/10 Rating

Edited by ClayMeow

For the OCC EC one I linked to above, here's one:

XtremeSystems - 9/10 Rating

Uses the same flawed testing method that is common in a lot of reviews, simply connecting to a test system and measuring voltages.

For the OCC Gold one, here's one:

techPowerUp - 8.6/10 Rating

Is a bit better, but still uses a test system for the bulk of testing, and a 350W static load only for efficiency readings (which only gives a single reading at a load that most PSU are going to be entirely comfortable with).

Neither is as thorough as any of the reviews I currently use for reference.

I do try and keep up with review procedure at different sites as best as possible, which is why I tend to use the 4 or 5 sites I do for reference.

When I get the time (and it does take time) to find other sites with similar test procedures then they may also get added.

There are links to various articles on the first page of this thread which answer any questions you might have about what is good and bad practise. :)

It is certainly good to question why certain PSUs may or may not be on the list currently. :thumbs-up:

Edited by jammin