Recommended Power Supplies List

Hmmmm... there is a noticable absence of Hiper Type M & R series PSU's :)

Yeah they are not too bad. Mine has been running virtually 24/7 since April 2006.

They are nowhere near as quiet as stated though. While they are still quieter than A LOT of units, I know of others that are quieter. Gotta love the modular systems though.

Hopefully jammin will be able to root out some information on them. Keep up the good work squire :)

Yeah, I'll do my best.

This is a recommended list, so if in my research I find that a particular supply is good, but gets outclassed by several other PSUs in the same price bracket, it makes it harder to add to the list.

Basically, there is no point in me adding something that when asked about I will just turn around and say "get this other one instead".

This is more true as the list gets longer (with the potential for some to get axed from the list should something better come along).

Of course I still want there to be plenty of options available. :)

Edited by jammin

I'm looking in a bit more depth at the Enermax Infinity line, which seems to be pretty impressive on first impressions.

I'm also looking into some of Hiper's models in a bit more depth.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ajmatson

Hey Jammin Just wanted to update the Antec Earthwatts 500 is close to silent also. I can barely even hear the air flow from the fan with my ear next to it. :)

Good to hear (or not, as the case may be :lol:). I'm tentative on labelling PSUs as a certain thing unless I can get confirmed reports about them.

edit -

Added OCZ StealthXStream 600W - virtually identical to GameXStream (lacks some power connectors. Slightly varied minor internals.)

Tagged Antec Earthwatts 500W as 'quiet'

Edited by jammin

Yeah, I believe someone posting that was what triggered the need to create the updated list as it is now.

I'll add it to the read links in the introduction, as it does provide a pretty good overview of what is good and what isn't.

The reason the list here didn't take a similar structure to that one, is that recommending based on brand can get confusing (with different models within a brand using different designs and even different OEMs at times).

The reason the list here didn't take a similar structure to that one, is that recommending based on brand can get confusing (with different models within a brand using different designs and even different OEMs at times).

I agree. Even that list has different lines from the same brand in different tiers. I think it makes a good supplement though. :)

• 1 month later...

Right, it's getting on for two months since the last update here.

I've been busy recently so I'm not completely up together with new releases on the PSU front.

Strong candidates for addition to the list are the updated Seasonic S12II series and Corsair's VX PSU's.

Gigabyte's Odin also looks like a potential recommendation.

Any other suggestions are welcome as usual. :)