Paypal And Taxes

BionicSniper

also how do USA taxes come into play. I am 16 and the account is in my name. This is going to be the first year i file taxes so...

If you are doing this as a business, you'll have to keep pretty good records keeping track of all your costs and sales. If you are just getting rid of a few items around the house I wouldn't worry about it.

Let;s say you buy something for $5, sell it for $10 and had $3 in credit card and PayPal fees. Your profit is $2 and that gets reported as income.

Check out Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?. Also check out the FAQ at the IRS site FAQ

When you sell stuff on things like eBay, you just pay for that little fee yourself, it goes straight out the money you send, tell them and they won't bid, I have been selling stuff for a long time and the best thing that worked with me so far is by offering:

Free shipping

Start at $0.01

People see that and would like it over the same item that offers like $2 shipping even if mine is like $5 ahead of that one.

you cant have a credit card at 16, simple as that. i didnt do taxes intill last year out of 3 years of working. they wont come knocking unless your making 10k Plus

you can get a credit card if you have a parettn cosign on it...

bluecow, you made a mistake about not filling taxes. If they are taken out of your paycheck and you make less than...5400 I think, you get all of that money back. I hope you were making more than 5400 or that taxes weren't taken out of your paycheck.

^^^ very similar here in Canada, if you make under (i think its 8K) you get it all back when you files taxes, also if your under 18.

Doesn't PayPal require you to be 18 before you can legally open an account with them?

Nope. just a bank account, or a CC

me and my dad have the same name too.. My debit card is technically his but i have control of the account (it is also at a different bank than my parents)

also just got my w2! i made 4017 so i get all 167.75 back that was income tax. so that puts me that much closer to my new computer

you cant have a credit card at 16, simple as that. i didnt do taxes intill last year out of 3 years of working. they wont come knocking unless your making 10k Plus

but why would you not file? at your income/age level, you would get 99% of what you paid in back in a check!!

unless you file 14 exemptions throught the year that is, in which case they dont with-hold taxes