The Vista Advantage

you can't game and encode a dvd at the same time and actually get "usable" results from it. so get that dream out of your head.

trust me, I haven't tried it on a 3800+ oc'd or not. I've tried it on the first rig in my signature... and YES it's oc'd (65nm ES chip) well beyond stock speeds. and NO it won't encode a DVD while playing a game. Burning a DVD is no problem once the files are laid out in the corect manner (can do that on an XP 1700+ while gaming)

well the reason why you may have had a choppy game while encoding would be because both your cores are being used for both/all programs, now if vista & game companies can make it to where if a game is running it takes 1 whole core to itself & the other core for all other programs then the game would stay at the speed of one of the cores .. does anybody else see this thread has 0 views ?

the zero view is (i assume since its obvious) being worked on as it is a bug.

as far as running a game on one core and everything else on the other and the game running at the same speed as if it were a single core at that speed. you are overlooking something. how much bandwidth with the ram does running a game take? i assume quite a bit. now try to squeeze in there all the other processes. if its something that does not require much ram. this wont happen when gaming though, because or were to theoretically fit entirely into the l2 cache. (that is if l2 cache is not shared, not sure if it is or isnt) then it would not be near as bothered by the limited bandwidth available with the ram. but if it needs that bandwidth, its gonna have to wait.

i like to think of it this way, you have 2 small guys trying to down two 2-liters real quick. but they have to share the same straw. this is opposed to 1 big guy trying to down 2 by himself. who's gonna win?

now if the guys took a while to swallow the drink down, one could drink, pass the straw to the next, and while that guy is drinking, swallow. and go back and forth. in this situation the 2 small guys will beat the lone big guy. because one core is not being bottlenecked by the others need of bandwidth. of coures if l2 cache is shared, that could hurt this too.

^hopefully im not too far off on this. somebody correct me. i know that somewhere in there i must have made a mistake. but somehow it makes sense to me.

here are some pretty interesting articles ive found, http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/07/08/dual_cor...ture_of_gaming/ ... & http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2377&p=3 ..

seems weve forgotten that the xbox 360 & ps3 are both multi core consoles, this fact alone points to the future of dual core potential eventually being tapped into. now when developers for the unreal 3 engine mention using some functions for the 2nd core you know its coming soon... if physics are assigned to the cpu whats with the new ageia card hype all about ? yea unreal 3 is supporting physx too .. only reason not to get dual core is because of backward compatability & the possibility that the would-have been functions for the 2nd core are now being taken over by a physics processor . keep in mind dual core sales are growing stroner .. i still cant decide, i was planning on geting my cpu on friday

its all about personal application perforance. i use mult threaded programs that use dual core more efficiently. if i only gamed then i would have bought a stronger single core cpu. but since i use better suited programs , dual core is best for me. its always best to know how to take advantage of the technology that is before you

You guys have to also keep in mind that it doesn't always matter what the apps can do so much as the OSes. If the OS doesn't route memory calls and such the right ways, then what good will the app support be? Ya know what I'm sayin?