The Vista Advantage

im looking for a cpu for my new system, ive got a jetway 939 sli mobo, i was looking at getting either 3700 + or x2 3800+ ... both cpu's are 64 bit, we still havent seen many games taking advantage of 64bit so if it takes this long to get 64 bit processing enabled then it wouldnt make much sense to get a dual core in hopes that in future games will take advantage of dual core .... i know how some of you ppl just believe single core is way for games but (for example)the 1st core to be focused on just the game while the 2nd core will be running all other computer functions .. then you will notice a performance gain.. but vista will more than likely take full advantage of 64 bit & dual core right ? so is it worth 100$ to get x2 ? my mobo does support it right.. :lol:

you make a good point actually. yes your mobo supports dual core. your board most likely won't overclock at all so if ure looking for speed over stock, you won't be able to stay stable most likely..

but that board should be fine as long as your power supply is decent.

i think from a technical standpoint that if games clearly support dual core, then yes the advantage will be there, but unless the OS, the game, and the processor all support it and USE it, it's a waste of the extra money - unless you plan on folding / encoding / never closing anything else out when you are gaming..

remember, XP runs on a 333Mhz proc.. it doesn't need processing power, just a lil ram and good upkeep.. so the question goes back to you - want to future proof yourself (for quite some time) or go with what has the best price/performance application now, but will still give you plwnty of power to ride into a few years from now.

your board most likely won't overclock at all so if ure looking for speed over stock, you won't be able to stay stable most likely..

Why do you say that? I seem to recall the Jetway 939 board being very good when it comes to overclocking...

Why do you say that? I seem to recall the Jetway 939 board being very good when it comes to overclocking...

from my point of view, not many non-popular boards perform that great to popular ones, is what IU is trying to say.

in the ideal world yes.

This is not the ideal world

get an optron 148 or a 3700 (almost exactly the same just different/better micro code on the opty)

that's like saying "my name tag is better than yours" :rolleyes:

and in the real world, dual core will STILL not be ready for the average computer user. this is why I still contend that the X2 and other dual core cpus are intended for "workstation" computers

that's like saying "my name tag is better than yours" :rolleyes:

i have noticed only few of the sandiego core users of the A64 chips are able to hit 2.9-3ghz while a majority of opteron users hit 3ghz quite easily, im not saying opterons and SD A64s are two different chips but it seems like the opterons are hand picked SD cores that can really overclock compared to thier A64 counterparts.

from whats been posted here, it seems that s939 optys are the same as SD's, just limited to within a few weeks, whereas those SD's during those weeks also OC well, but if you buy an SD now, there is no gurantee that you will get one of those good weeks. if you buy a s939 opty now, they were obviously made during that week. thats my understanding from what ive read here.

from whats been posted here, it seems that s939 optys are the same as SD's, just limited to within a few weeks, whereas those SD's during those weeks also OC well, but if you buy an SD now, there is no gurantee that you will get one of those good weeks. if you buy a s939 opty now, they were obviously made during that week. thats my understanding from what ive read here.

finally!!!!! someone sees the light.

and if you look at it from a % basis. how many SD chips were reviewed durring the same time frame as the opteron craze? how many of the web reviews were written when the first came out? how many people who CARE about overclocking bought their SD 3700+ durring the opteron craze? how many poor SD 3700+'s were sent to spend thier existance in emachines, compaq's, sony's or HP's... never to know thier true potential durring those weeks?

now do you see why it "looks" like the opterons OC'd better? it was simply a matter of perception.

you guys are seeing it all the wrong way.. its not about opty vs sd .. its dual core against single core.. what matters is bang for your buck, thats why ppl turn to OC.. so my question is will a 3700+ overclocked to max on reasonable air fan always be faster than a dual core 3800+ oc'ed as much as possible, for running normal computer operations & a resource consuming game ? and are the differences really that noticeably different ... personally i plan on running 1 video game, d/l client, win amp, maybe recording off a tv tuner & multiple IE windows all at same time, most of all i want it all to run as smoothly as possible since i will be using a dual monitor setup, im a perfectionist with a budget.. will vista unlock the power of dual core 64bit