Sign in to follow this  
LivingGhost

how To A Format A Hdd?

While we're on the subject of formating, when you're installing windows, do you do a full format or the quick format? There doesn't seem to be a performance diff and the quick ver is much faster, but I always do a full format on my main rig anyway...

Anyone have any ideas?

<I don't mean to thread hijack, but it seems like he worked out his prob...>

Edited by Celcius

The Rule-of-thumb there is if the HDD is BRAND NEW then you prolly be better off doing the FULL format.

People still have Windows 98? I havent seen anything but 2000 or XP in 2 years. . .

Seriously? I have tons of Windows 95,98 computers coming in to be fixed every week!

____

I always do a full format, i've had some strange problems with quick formats.

Unstable filesystem and stramge errors.

Seriously? I have tons of Windows 95,98 computers coming in to be fixed every week!

yeah... about 60% of the computers that need to be fixed are 95/98/me anyways :(

BTW: i'd leave it fat32 if i were you, ntfs only makes a differance in bigger drives

The Rule-of-thumb there is if the HDD is BRAND NEW then you prolly be better off doing the FULL format.

I agree totally. Quick format use only on drives that have previously been partitioned and formatted. And ONLY if time is of the essence. Personally, I would do a full format every time.

Edited by peter.ski

i believe with a full it offers more time and better performance cause it takes time to carefully make it work... where as in quick it just throws it on and gives u the space and work... i recommend full if u plan on gaming and doing very important work...

Guest FxXP

OK guys, I had to clean up this thread a little bit. Let's keep it on track or keep it in PM's, otherwise some peeps are going to get increases in their warning levels, alright?