Sign in to follow this  
xboarder

Can't Figure Out What's Wrong! Please Help...

Here are the major specs on my system:

Giga-byte GA7N400SL MB

1 GB OCZ PC3200 RAM

AMD Athlon XP 3000 (400 fsb)

Radeon (something, dont recall model) video card

Here's what happened:

I tried overclocking it via the software that Giga-byte gives you with the MB that is supposed to allow one to OC from within Windows. I raised the clock speed 100 Mhz, saved settings and everything seemed to work fine. Then went back in to raise the core voltage (like I've been told to do when OCing). Raised it by .2 or .3 volts (don't recall exactly what) and saved changes and got the blue screen of death. Rebooted and it booted fine so I went into the bios to reset the cmos, clock speed and core voltage to defaults. Saved changes and rebooted. From then on NOTHING! No bootup, no beeps, nothing.

I then tried to reset the cmos manually by shorting the jumper. That still didn't do anything. Also switched the fsb frequency control switch to force 100 mhz. That didn't do anything.

So I figured it was a hardware problem. Switched out cpu, nothing. Switched out RAM, nothing. So I'm wondering, since there is no video output and no bootup beeps could it be that the video card is dead (haven't tried switching that out yet since I don't have a spare one)? From what I know of motherboards, bootup beeps are still supposed to happen if the MB or CPU or memory are bad to let you know what hardware exactly is bad. Is that true?

So no video output on power on. Also no bootup beeps. Does anyone have any thoughts about what is wrong or what else I could try?

i would guess that it would be a motherboard problem, if it was something else, the motherboard would probably still power up and give you those annoying beeps. might be shorting on a standoff of something. did you move it arround when u reset the cmos?

i would guess that it would be a motherboard problem, if it was something else, the motherboard would probably still power up and give you those annoying beeps. might be shorting on a standoff of something. did you move it arround when u reset the cmos?

Are you saying did I physically move the motherboard around when I shorted the cmos jumper? No, it's bolted down to the case so it can't move. Also I was using a grounding strap on me (like anyone should ever use when screwing around inside a computer) so I don't think the MB could have been messed up by static elec.

But like I described, I hadn't touched the insides of the computer before the thing started acting funky and wouldn't even boot. If it was the MB, how would have raising the core voltage to the cpu have messed it up? I would think that the only thing that would get messed up is the cpu itself...and why would it have suddenly not been able to bootup after I had saved changes to the cmos from within the bios like I described?

Try this, check to make sure that you have ALL wires connected correctly. Trust me, a little extra time spent checking wires is better than killing your mobo. And remind me why you reset your cmos, you should have booted in safe mode and reset your changes then went from there. Cmos clear = last resort imo. Oh and a grounding strap is only one layer of protection, you can still build up a miniscule amount of electricity that can fry a mobo. Remember, grounding strap+heel straps+tight-fitting rubber gloves(latex works and yes, I'm this paranoid when it comes to my gear.) is your best bet for static safety.

Yeh that sounds like motherboard problems. I would check the wires first, then pull everything apart and make sure nothing is shorting the board, also i would maybe check your power supply. What wattage is it?!?

Yeh that sounds like motherboard problems. I would check the wires first, then pull everything apart and make sure nothing is shorting the board, also i would maybe check your power supply. What wattage is it?!?

Figured out what was wrong...it was the cpu after all...thanks everyone.

I'm assuming this is the first component you've ever killed?

If so, congrats.. you've broken your duck, everyone has to do it sometime.