Sign in to follow this  
RichMayo

Simple Fan Mod Advice/assist

I want to modify the existing case fan ports on my rig. Right now, the fans are mounted behind a circular set of holes drilled in the case. The area under the fan is actually a lot more case than hole...

I would like to cut away the aluminum and leave a round hole with a fan in it, but I'm seriously lacking confidence in my ability to do a professional-looking job.

Can you experience folks post some advice on the this, or perhaps a link to a web page with pictures??

Thanks,

R.

Edited by RichMayo

get a holesaw a few mm smaller than the fan size (e.g. 120mm fan --> 114mm holesaw) and it helps if you have a 6.3mm hole dead centre so you may have to bolt on a piece of wood/plastic/metal to give you that guide hole for the holesaw's pilot drill...

alu is really easy to work with and you could use a coping saw or hacksaw, or rotary tool like a dremel, even tin snips...

a half-rounded file is good for tidying up the edges and dulling them down so they're not razor sharp... then some U-type rubber trim can be placed around it...

:withstupid:

You can do it without the rubber, but it takes forever. Try looking in car shops for small U section rubber... usually more selection than modding shops.

I am the king of tin-snip case modding! :lol: They work surprisingly well for just cutting out the aluminium mesh, good if you don't want to use a power tool. I would seriously recommend you do use a drill for the mounting holes, though. Trying to make the hole with tin-snips was... interesting to say the least.

Word of warning with using tin-snips, if you don't cut straight or bend the metal too much, the rubber will basically refuse to fit.

Just remember not to cut out bigger than the hole you want. You can always cut more out or file it down but you can't add more metal in (not easily anyways).

and like hardnrg said, use a file to smooth it out and it'll give you a cleaner, more professional look.

Once the hole is cut, I'll need to cover it with something (don't want the toddler sticking fingers in the fan...)

Should I just use a grill, should I also add some mesh under the grill, or should I just go with the mesh??

Thanks.

Once the hole is cut, I'll need to cover it with something (don't want the toddler sticking fingers in the fan...)

Should I just use a grill, should I also add some mesh under the grill, or should I just go with the mesh??

Thanks.

Just put a wire fan grill on there once you have all the other metal cut and out the way. Even though I still have my 2 year old shoving crayons through the wire grill, man it makes a racket,LOL!

question for kinda me.........how big do u drill the holes for the fan screws?

I always just size it up using a drill bit in one hand and the screw in the other, the drill bit will need to be slightly larger so that the screw will not bind up during installation.

you want a clean, professional look right? well get either a hole saw, a hole punch or a dremel (whatever you want), and make a nice clean cut. take your time. then get some files and do all the rough work with them. get some emery cloth sandpaper and finish it off. thats the best way to get uber pro results. i dont like rubber molding cuz it doesnt look that good IMO.

Edited by ady1989