Sign in to follow this  
eldiablo10

Verizon Dsl Or Optumum Online

Here is a question to all who live in the New Jersey area. I have been having problems with my Optimum Online cable internet lately.They keep saying I nedd to replace my splitters and I did. It still runs like crap most of the time. I am debating if I should stay with Optimum or go Verizon DSL.

Also if this helps I have to split the connection 3 ways now cause my step brother just moved in and my mom got a new computer. So I don't want to waste the money on two cable modems if my mom decides to go with DSL. What should I do?

Edited by eldiablo10

couldnt you just put a router behind the cable modem and split the connection between multiple computers that way?

i dont live in new jersey, so no clue on that aspect.

we had problems with optimum at first also. we use it for internet, cable, and phone. We replaced the splitter and it seems to work fine. Haven't had any cutoffs like we used to.

Anyways, optimum is way better than verizon if you can get it fixed. much much faster.

I happen to live in Jersey, and my dad's gone through both Verizon and Optimum.

Optimum is both faster and easier to use. I happen to like it a lot more. If your spilting the connection, it'd be pretty easy to setup. I acutally work doing this (I'm A+ certified and working on my Network+).

If you need any help setting up a home network if/when you switch, send me a PM and I'd have no problem sending you some business references and maybe we could work something out. :)

if it's verizon FIOS get it! but considering it's only available to like....1.3 places right now...

why use a splitter to each of the computers? splitters = BAD! never use a splitter on a broadband connection. because:

a) they slow it down like WOAH

b) you have to get a modem for each computer = $$$

c) you can just buy a router for $40 and all of your problems will be solved =)

i have verizon dsl and i hate it, but its not that bad, its cheaper in the long run with the dsl and FIOS service than OOL but OOL is fast but FIOS is much better (if your area has fios).

Yeah I guess Optimum is better then huh. If I got Verizon anyways we would have to switch from AT&T to Verizon. It will cost to much. Hopfully the Optimum stops lagging out every once and a while.

i think you guys are confused. the splitter is not for the computers. the splitter is for the cable connection, where one would go to the cable modem and the other(s) to your tv(s)/phone(s). They're coaxil (sp?) splitters, not rj45 splitters.

um i would say to go with OptimumOnline FiberOptix(c,cs), if you can if not then try verizon fiber optix(c,cs), and if niether then i would go with optimumonline, because i've heard good things about their DSL.

um i would say to go with OptimumOnline FiberOptix(c,cs), if you can if not then try verizon fiber optix(c,cs), and if niether then i would go with optimumonline, because i've heard good things about their DSL.
optimum online is cable, not dsl, which is why it's so much faster.

And as someone who's eaten a ton of bandwidth downloading and uploading gobs....i can tell you they don't seem to care what you do...there are no restrictions.