Sign in to follow this  
jaytrac

What Is Faster? 1gb Of Ram Or 1.5gb Of Mixed Ram

So yeah, I have recently gotten 1 gb (2x512mb) of OCZ Premier PC3200 (200 MHz) DDR400 Dual Channel ram with latency of 2.5-3-3-7. I have my old 512mb (2x256mb) ram which is SpecTek Incorporated (?) PC3200 (200MHz) DDR400 Dual Channel with latency 3-3-3-8. My motherboard is ASUS P4P800SE and I know that the frequency and stuff of the better ram (OCZ) have to be underclocked (can I use this word?) to match the not-so-good ram.

My question is, is it better to use 1.5gb ram at a frequency of 159.9 MHz or just use just the 1gb OCZ ones at frequency 199.9 MHz and dump the old 512mb ones.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

Edited by jaytrac

if you notice ur usage exceeds 1gb then go with 1.5,

if your usage is under 1gb then stay with the 1gb and sell the 512

With my 7800GT 1.5GB of mixed was better, with older cards, the 1GB with higher speed was better. So try both, use the setup that runs faster.

Is there a program or something that lets me test how well each set of ram will perform? I used 3dMark05 with my 9800 Pro and I scored 2345 with 1.5gb and I scored 2437 with 1gb of ram. Does that take into account for loading times as well as performance? I play Battlefield 2 and I would like to know which configuration will be the best for it.

Yeah i'm wondering this too. Scores stay the same between 2 and 2.5GB of RAM (2GB having faster latencies). Any solid way to test which of these performs better?

dude, its like i said, it all depends on the usage.

if you use small apps/games stay with the 1gb,

if you use ram hungry programs/multitask that would take more than 1gb then your gonna be on virtual memory meaning the 1.5 will outperform the 1gb on my example.

1gb or good quality ram. think of it this way, if you et 2 sticks of mushkin redline and put in another stick of 49.99$ 512 mb kingston cheapo, IF you can get them to actually work together, the 400$ redline will only work as fast as the weakest link, the kingston in this example.

Follow this link and download Rainmeter http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rainmeter.html

It's a little utility that puts a semi transparent reading of your cpu/mem usage over your applications so you can watch your memory draw in real time, though it doesn't stay "on top" in all games it might in BF2 (I haven't tried), it also shows your virtual mem usage, Ill post a screen shot in a minute.

There, done (and yes thats my baby son, all together now aaaah)

Edited by guzzidom

With BF2 being the mem sucking whore it is, that is where i saw the main boost form 1GB decent to 1.5GB mixed with my main rig back b4 the 2GB upgrade.

That being said, i highly doubt that your system can run such games on the highest settings which require the extra ram to run smoothly. SO you are likely better to stick with teh 1GB if i just had to give an opinion, but seriously, use one setup for a day, then use the other...not too hard to see if you can feel a difference. If you dont see a change loose the extra 512mb and run 1GB.