Asus & Crossfire

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131584 <-- I have heard some good things about it and I have heard some wicked bad things... Do you think this would be a wise choice for a future crossfire rig? :huh:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2617 <--review

I'd stay away from it only because it's an Asus. I've had nothing but problems with them over the last 3 1/2 years or so. especially on the AMD side of things.

but then again that board might be okay...

As bigred said, ASUS hasn't had the best reputation with AMD chips (decent with Intel, though). As far as that board is concerned, I don't care for how close the PCI Express slots are to each other. The DFI has more room, which would allow the video cards to breathe better (providing you can even get two dual-slot cards in the ASUS). I realize that it's quite a bit cheaper than the DFI RDX200, but don't ya wonder why, lol?

The reason why I was looking into it is more on the lines of SATAII support and USB 2.0 that's not glitchy. I had the DFI board in my cart at Newegg, but after I read that review and noticed that the features were more along the line of what I wanted I switch'em, and the Asus is cheaper.

Now my biggest concern is whether or not I want to get an X1800XL or X1600XT. I don't game as much as I used to and I know if I got the X1800XL I would probably never dish out the extra money involved with the crossfire set-up, but the price/performance range of the X1600XT's are more along the lines of what I'm looking for... but then again... I might start to game a little more when I get my computer back up and working and I'm afraid that the X1600XT is going to have enough performance to keep up with me.

The last incident that I had with SLi / 7800 kinda made me look the other way. When I started to game a bit on my 7800 all it did was make me miss my X800XT PE... sure the 7800 had a bit higher FPS, but not enough to sacrafice the image quality imo.

Does anyone know what the X1600XT Crossfire scores are?