Hd - Is It Worth It?

Arkadiy

I have a normal 120 GB HD but I really want one a little faster, it will pretty much be used to have my games on it and Windows (heard it really boots faster so...) but the price is one that I do not like to spend on a HD, so what do you guys think? Is it actually worth to spend more money for less GB just for the speed? Will it increase gaming performance(noticibly)? Do you think that prices will go down any time soon (months)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144160

I would personally say that since your board supports SATA 2 you might want to take advantage.

I'm not sure having not owned raptors, but you could buy 2 SATA2 drives and RAID 0 them for less than what that costs. I think that would probably be just as fast and give you more storage space as well.

The new version of the Raptor is due out soon isn't it? You could always wait for that as another option.

Edited by jammin

I would personally say that since your board supports SATA 2 you might want to take advantage.

I'm not sure having not owned raptors, but you could buy 2 SATA2 drives and RAID 0 them for less than what that costs. I think that would probably be just as fast and give you more storage space as well.

The new version of the Raptor is due out soon isn't it? You could always wait for that as another option.

616288[/snapback]

The Raptor X is a $300, 150 GB 10K RPM harddrive that is all black with a window, too much for me....

I will definitely check out the SATA2 thing, didn't even know about it :P Thanks!

Oh and is this what you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144701

If not, can you point me in the direction of a SATA2 harddrive? Thanks.

Yeah, that WD is the kind of thing I was talking about.

I'm thinking that a single raptor would still beat it if you were putting it up against a single SATA2 drive but you'd have to find some benches to compare.

But if you get 2 SATA2 drives and put them together in RAID 0 then they will likely beat the raptor hands down. But then again, that brings in all the issues that come along with going for such a setup (search here, there have been topics about it)

2 of These (seagate sata2) would cost around the same as one raptor and you'd still get 160gb total with RAID 0.

Edited by jammin