Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

My Beef With J.k. Rowling

I thought the books all increased in quality until the 6th, I have much enjoyed the extra length and the first three books seem sort of... empty to me now. The sixth book made me mad though, #1 it was shorter and #2 it just sucked. :P

That just reminded me... I've got the original "Philophers Stone" from England when it first came out... I didn't read any of the books til the 4th one came out, then I read those ones.

I haven't read any more than that :\

i dont like those fantasy stories, im a realistic guy...

was watchn the movie for a while... pple flying in brooms...

615443[/snapback]

:lol: I'm SOO with you on that one

She said a long time ago that as the series progresses they will get darker and darker......as the characters get older...so does the audience....she has also said that once she is finished with this series (which she has written them all already) she may write another one thats more for young adults. I'm just as interested with the books now as I was when the first one came out. The books are just as she said....getting darker....it was expected. She wrote them all together...she hasnt changed the books any...she's just publishing them with time in between to give time for the movies...and for her audience to grow some. I like some books more than others....but as far as the story goes...they've all been great IMO. I haven't seen any change in her style except of course the fact that the characters are getting older and the story of course has to mature with them.

How can your respect for her drop? She has written a wonderful series FOR CHILDREN btw ....they love it....its made millions....and she just thought it up one day. She was a single mother...barely making ends meet....then she thought of this story....and it was a great success. Kids, teens, and adults love it.

And about her writing it all at once. The books aren't seperate stories....they go together...it's one long story in seperate books....so of course she wrote one right after the other....she didnt stop brainstorming after she wrote one book....when you write..the characters become real...the story becomes real...you keep writing until its done. She publishes them with time in between to give the audience time to mature along with Harry Potter.

About her saying that the series would get darker...I believe it was in US weekly...an interview with her....or it could have been in my writers magazine. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I write....and i've read many books to get a feel for how different people write. Harry Potter amazes me. She has built an entire world....and when the movies came out they were exactly how I imagined everything. I can't find anything I dislike. I wish the series was longer than 7 books....but she did say that she may come out with another series...about when Harry grows up etc...that would be more for young adults...just as the end of this series is maturing as the characters grow...they are starting to target a more mature audience. I didn't expect it to stay all sweet and PG 13.

Anyway..I just dont understand how any writer can not atleast respect her...you dont have to like the story or the characters....but she has created something wonderful.

Sorry, KB, but i'm with Celt on this one. I don't remember the original quote, but she definitely did say early on (I think when the 2nd book came out), that as the children aged, so would the books. Essentially, this would remain true, as the stories are told from the point of view of those participating in it, who are getting older. Thus, as their mature, so does the writing. And as the story unfolds, which is a story of a battle against evil, it too gets dark.

And KB, I do think you have to give respect for the creation of development of such an epic story. I never liked the chronicles of Narnia, but I respect C.S. Lewis for the creation of such a story.