Child Discipline

Savan

Should parents hit their children?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should parents hit their children?

• yes
    • no

imo, i think "hitting" (spanking would be more appropriate, I think) isn't necessarily a bad thing, so long as the child understands what it's for. If the kid did something 5 hours ago and then you find it, it's not the best time to spank him/her. If your kid does something right in front of you to tick you off and you're angry, also not a good time for spanking. It has its place.

Now, as far as respect (Byron said something about teaching respect early on), I have the utmost respect for my parents. Also, I have one of the most honest and open relationships with my parents. 22, through college and, aside from the goriest of details, my mom knows pretty much what I experienced in college (and she still loves me, even if I did make some bad choices). If that isn't a good mother-son relationship, not sure what is.

As long as we're talking about good parenting, I think a place that we should all really consider is (especially the men), is how much of an active role we're going to take in our children's lives. As a kindergarten teacher in a rough district, I've seen the vast differences in child behavior from a single-mother home compared to kids whose parents are still married. If we are really going to successfully address child behavior, men step up and take responsibility (aka, if you knock some girl up, DON'T BE A DEADBEAT!)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, kids today are little (poops) who have no respect... back when i was a kid i got beat with slippers, shoes, belts, wooden spoons, hairbrushes, backscratchers, small branches (lol), punches, kicks... pretty much everything...

might have been a little too much, but i think kids should be brought up with more than lame (go to your room) punishments... man that wouldn't work with me lol... i loved my room, i had my computer, and music, and everything... i could chill there for days with some food supplies lol

Now, by "hit," I do not believe parents should be able to beat their children into submission. However, when a little kid is acting up int he grocery store, a quick smack on the @$$ is good enough for me. Kids who get little to no form of physical discipline from their parents tend to be more likely to have less respect for authority figures as they get older. The problem with our society is that its gotten so dang politically correct, that parents aren't allowed to touch their kids without fear of the government stepping in to take them away, and this is absolutely ridiculous. I look forward to the day when some bureaucrat comes up to my door and tells me how to raise my kid. :bah:

nothing wrong with punishing kids physically if you are careful. most of us can remember being stubborn enough that at some point it was the only way we would listen. i remember i never showed pain, and made the mistake of laughing one time. that was not smart. neither was.

Please define "hit".

Do you mean a swat on the backside? Yes, in the past. It's not needed anymore. My son is now almost 12 and the WORST thing I can do to him now is to tell him he's let me down. I think he would prefer a good swat. The sting doesn't last as long as when you've let someone down you love and respect.

Do you mean smack on the face? No.

There's punishment then there's abuse. HUGE difference!!!!

Asking if someone "hits" their kids is a loaded and unfair question.

That's like asking someone "So, do you still beat your wife?"

No matter which way you answer you're doomed.

Please stop making questions that when answered, will fit your agenda.

Edited by stitch_626

Yeah when I was a kid I got disciplined with a belt to the backside if I did something really bad. Other than that just a typical spanking with a hand or a hit across the forehead, nothing overly powerful. I think doing those kinds of things gets your point across much better than just verbally telling them.

Again, like it's been said many many times already, there's a difference between discipline and abuse...

I have never actually spanked either of my children (ages 2 and 5). BUT I see no problem with it if it's warrented. not beating the ever loving crap out of them, but a good wack to get the point across. it worked for my parents, and thier parents and so on. they didn't turn out so bad, had respect for theres and discipline... things LACKING these days in kids. and frankly I feel it's a result of no FEAR in authority... authority that society has stripped of it's "teeth"

I feel most of societys problems stem from the fact that parents refuse to hit their children

614727[/snapback]

:lol: :thumbs-up:

Wow...31 out of 43 people say yes...this place is scary. Hitting a child does nothing except possibly psychologically screw them up.

:lol:  :thumbs-up: 

Wow...31 out of 43 people say yes...this place is scary. Hitting a child does nothing except possibly psychologically screw them up.

614897[/snapback]

but the chances of that are higher for a child that isnt hit.