Sign in to follow this  
hockeyrcks9901

Ubuntu

I see why everyone like linux now...I finally got a distro that works with my computer. Its ubuntu 5.10 I believe. Any Programs or anything I should download. Keep in mind that I am a newbie with linux. Also...where do I get drivers or anything like that. It seems that everything but my video card is working properly.

~95% of the time, you get the drivers from the manufacturer.... seeing as you have nVidia listed in your sig, you'd want to go to nvidia.com. :D It'll be under "download drivers". They have instructions on installing the drivers, so make sure and read that. ;)

For the other ~5% you'll go to G4L and search for <something> driver. There may not be an official driver available, but you can usually find a 3rd party driver or work around.... that is unless you have no-named hardware that came from some 2 person company in Tiwan.

Edited by d3bruts1d

programs i would download are gaim, and firefox or opera. i dont know what ubuntu comes with but if it uses konqueror, any browser is better than konqueror. well maybe not IE. but i hate konqueror. you prolly need to get the mp3 codec also. i think i might try to find that since i dont have class till late today. also check the linux security faq here. that will help ya some.

Personally, I would advise you to check out the ubuntu wiki, rather than just download the gfx drivers yourself, they have x.org extenstions in their apt repositorty that should get it working.

Also, if you're a newbie to linux, I would suggest you lookthrough synaptic and look up anything that you might want.

If you use MSN Messenger, I would suggest aMSN as an alternative, IMO it's the better of them all.

Learn how to use apt-get, too. It is your best friend, lol.