Thermaltake Armor Va800

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be building a new system around March, April time and was just picking out a few things. This case caught my eye...I don't normally rate Thermaltake stuff, but it looks great and looks good to work with...Has anyone on here got one? Is it any good? :huh:

I did read a couple of reviews, but they were mixed...

The specs of the new rig will be:

Athlon 64 X2 4400+

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe

Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000

2x 7800 GTX

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Seasonic S12 600W

300GB Seagate Barracuda

74GB Raptor

LG L1980Q 19" LCD Monitor

Logitech Z-5500 5.1

Money is no issue in this next build...Though since i work for a pc store, i'll be getting some nice discount...I'm just trying to find a good case, there's nothing worse than getting loadsa nice stuff only to find out that the case sucks! :O

Thermaltake's build quality could use some work IMO. Might not be as much of an issue with the steel, it really shows with aluminium though, that's always too thin.

If you want a really nice case that's built well and you'll be proud of, take a look at Silverstone's line-up of cases, they have some good ones.

A lot of people will bash Tt subjectively, but contrary to popular belief, they CAN make some good cases. IMO, the Armor is one of them. It's a VERY roomy and sturdy case. I bought one a while back and I've been cutting the crap out of it ever since. I hope to have some more pics up within the next week, but suffice it to say that I'm very happy with it. The only thing I didn't like was the window (how it's not all open), but a dremel and a big piece of plexi fixed that, and now mine is just all see-through.

If you're just going to put a standard rig build in it, I'd almost say it's TOO big, but if you have a big system (with watercooling or better), or you just have a TON of components in your system, then it's a great case. Seriously though, this thing is VERY large, and if you don't need the room, you may want to consider a smaller case like the Tsunami. Some people will say the Tsunami is a ripoff of the CM Wavemaster.... and it is.... but CM puts a crappy 80mm fan in the back of theirs for some reason, and Tt is smart enough to use a 120mm, which makes a big difference to me.

Anyways, that's my take :)

I say go with it, I have the Tt Kandalf, and I :wub: it, its the most amazing case ever, I wouldn't switch it for anything, my only complaint was the lack of fan compatibility outside of the 92mm they put in (theres no holes to fit 80mms). Seriously, its an amzing case, go with the armor or kandalf.

I also have the Armor, and I am very happy with it. As Verran said, the thing is frikkin' huge (inside and out). It has great airflow, decent tooless setup, and a drive bay drawer (a novelty, but neat nontheless). And, if you aren't too attached to the ASUS mobo, I'd go for the DFI SLI-DR. It may not have the "true"16x16 lanes, but that "feature" has yet to prove to be any benefit what so ever.

i have a Tt armor, the room is great. its sturdy like the other guy said, the build is sorta messed up though,

A. you have to screw the rear slots in diagonally because, where the window or sidepanel is, theres this extra part sticking out.

B. you cant insert a card and then use the green and purple clips for the PCI slot things

C. the top fan is not good

D. the LED's in the front can disconnected very quickly

other than that its perfect.....

A. you have to screw the rear slots in diagonally because, where the window or sidepanel is, theres this extra part sticking out.

614053[/snapback]

I didn't have any problem screwing in the pci cards (if that's what you mean by "rear slots").

B. you cant insert a card and then use the green and purple clips for the PCI slot things

614053[/snapback]

The green/purple pci clip thing is useless. I took that out and threw it away first thing. I did the same with my Tt SViking. They didn't go with the color scheme I wanted, and were too much of a pain to paint, plus they don't hold the cards that well, so I tossed them in the trash.

C. the top fan is not good

614053[/snapback]

I agree. None of the fans are that great to be honest. They're quiet, but that's not a tough feat to accomplish when they only move like 3 cfm. I wouldn't plan on using the fans that come with it unless you're not too picky about cooling. (I consider this true of most cases though, in Tt's defense.)

D. the LED's in the front can disconnected very quickly

614053[/snapback]

Not really sure how.... The power and hdd leds connect the same way on the Armor that they do on every other case I've ever had, so I can't see why they'd be any more of a problem than normal. Not really sure what you mean by this...