Sign in to follow this  
Nadger

Widescreen Gaming

One reason I have heard of people not going into native widescreen resolutions is because some people consider it "cheating"  <-- I call BS tho.

You get to see more area and more of whats going on true, but how is that different from people doing 1gig sli setups against other with 64mb ram cards?

Battlefield 2 is the most recent game I really enjoy playing and I have found many forums which link you to ea's site with threads requesting them to add widescreen fov changes or just widescreen support.  All the responses so far have been "we'll let our development team know about this"  but well, I'm sure its too much trouble for the development team to actually earn they wages?

613995[/snapback]

About the cheating, I'm sorry, it is. At least in the battlefield series.

I remember a case long back, a guy was discussing how he modded the .con files to get everything displayed on his widescreen.

guess what, it also zoomed in more and reduced the fog, not intentionally, of course.

The people on the forum told the people at punkbuster, and it was banned.

This was on BFV, for clarification.

BTW, artmoney comes packed with spyware.

Sorry for intruding, just thought I should point that out.

Although, wouldn't running the game in windowed mode at the full res. of the monitor work?

Well if they consider it cheating than why doesn't their dev team make it so they support widescreen (a.k.a) thier own field of view settings? I understand that editing files and making it so you can't see fog or giving yourself a 180 degree f.o.v. isn't right. And in the case of battlefield 2 they have locked the f.o.v. so there is no changing it. So basically when I change the .exe param's i get the correct horizontal picture but some of my verticle gets cut off. All im asking for is that extra bit that gets snipped :P

But still good point n00b

tdborg: a lot of older games for one but im not having a beef about that.  Its mainly battlefield 2 thats ticking me off.  And as i said in my first post need for speed: most wanted.  Both happen to be EA Evil Products.  There was a demo or 2 i downloaded that didnt support widescreen either.  I cant recall their names.

ICON57: If its the same one im thinking of, I have a few friends that have this.  The 2405FPW?  2/3 of the friends had to return theirs after a short while due to dead pixels.  Hopefully your brother gets lucky.

Gremlin: The Sony Model number is: GDMFW900 (though this one is through HP so it has their model number on it too which is: A7217A

BoyBandsMustDie: I agree with your assesment on the cheating thing.  Thanks for the link, I think ive brushed across that site before but i need to bookmark it.

The weird part is, I would guess a good 70% of the developer's computers out there have widescreen monitors attached to them.  Widescreen makes it so much easier to work on projects.  I would also guess most of those widescreen monitors are the Dell 2405FPW monitor.

P.S. This monitor has both 15 pin d-sub connections and BNC connections.  I was wondering if its possible to buy a converter to go from BNC to component video or BNC to RCA jacks etc so I could hook up a dvd player or xbox or n64 etc to this monitor.  It has dual inputs with a switch on the front to switch between the two inputs.  But i wasnt sure if BNC could be converted like that.

614161[/snapback]

As for hooking up the monitor to a DVD or Xbox... as long as the source was outputting progressive it will work. Now to make it work...

You monitor most likly wont beable to change the input settings on the RGB input (VGA or BNC ... same signal, different connectors) to a component signal. You can use a lot of different devices out there for this. I have use Keydigital a lot. we use them to convert HD Tivo component signals to VGA for Home theater projectors. I think they retail for about 300 though... and i havnt used any others that i can remember. Let me know if you have any more questions.

As for the widescreen issue, they should make the games have a widescreen mode, and if you have a 4x3 monitor then you get the black bars on the top and bottom, just like your normal tv set. problem solved and then more people will get on the with widescreen band wagon. :)

Well if they consider it cheating than why doesn't their dev team make it so they support widescreen (a.k.a) thier own field of view  settings?  I understand that editing files and making it so you can't see fog or giving yourself a 180 degree f.o.v. isn't right.  And in the case of battlefield 2 they have locked the f.o.v. so there is no changing it.  So basically when I change the .exe param's i get the correct horizontal picture but some of my verticle gets cut off.  All im asking for is that extra bit that gets snipped :P

But still good point n00b

614765[/snapback]

Many league gamers use higher FOV values... heck, 120 was almost a standard in both UGC and STA when I played for {kTp}. Try playing with 180 fov and you'll be disappointed, as 140 it's self is near impossible.

my bro monitor arrived 2 days ago...he is lovin it!

one dead pixel...i guess that is about the norm.

As for hooking up the monitor to a DVD or Xbox...  as long as the source was outputting progressive it will work.  Now to make it work...

You monitor most likly wont beable to change the input settings on the RGB input (VGA or BNC ... same signal, different connectors) to a component signal.  You can use a lot of different devices out there for this.  I have use Keydigital a lot.  we use them to convert HD Tivo component signals to VGA for Home theater projectors.  I think they retail for about 300 though... and i havnt used any others that i can remember.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

As for the widescreen issue, they should make the games have a widescreen mode, and if you have a 4x3 monitor then you get the black bars on the top and bottom, just like your normal tv set.  problem solved and then more people will get on the with widescreen band wagon.  :)

614772[/snapback]

Thanks for the information. Xbox dosnt output in progressive to my knowledge. I know the 360 does.

So something like this: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/video3.htm

or something like that but bnc to component video etc.

ah well, i doubt id ever do it since most the stuff id like to hook up to it isnt progressive.

I just got my dell 24" a few weeks ago. it is great. I do wish I could figure out how to watch movies in widescreen with out the bars. I know it is because of the way they are filmed but the bars bug me.

I just got my dell 24" a few weeks ago. it is great. I do wish I could figure out how to watch movies in widescreen with out the bars. I know it is because of the way they are filmed but the bars bug me.

616303[/snapback]

yeah depends entirely on the type of film. Some widescreen movies, like saving private ryan fill my screen. others like star wars are too wide and make black bars

I have the same monitor as you, only the Sony version.

post-71733-0-97056900-1350758489_thumb.jpg

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That is a great thread for information on the monitor. Lots of people hooked it up to their nintendo 64's and playstations without problems, and it will work on the xbox360 as well.

I love my fw900 for photo editing and screen real estate. Although I much prefer my laptop lcd for reading text. I also have a BEAR of a time getting my screen aligned with the CRT.

Oh, and you really gotta see this monitor to understand its size. its 97lbs!!

I have the same monitor as you, only the Sony version.

post-71733-0-97056900-1350758489_thumb.jpg

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788

That is a great thread for information on the monitor. Lots of people hooked it up to their nintendo 64's and playstations without problems, and it will work on the xbox360 as well.

I love my fw900 for photo editing and screen real estate. Although I much prefer my laptop lcd for reading text. I also have a BEAR of a time getting my screen aligned with the CRT.

Oh, and you really gotta see this monitor to understand its size. its 97lbs!!

616996[/snapback]

Thanks for the link, very much appreicated. And its true, pictures dont do this monitor justice. It has to be seen in person.

Im 99% sure the HP version and sony version are the same. HP just licened it from sony. As far as aligning goes. I havnt had any problems. Sometimes the upper right corner gets sucked in a bit, but with the roll-away controls on the front, you can counter it.

Now that i look at it...that thread is HUGE if you can, could you direct me to a post about hooking an n64 etc up to it? I should be able to find it with time if you cant remember where its at.

Thanks for the information. Xbox dosnt output in progressive to my knowledge. I know the 360 does.

So something like this: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/video3.htm

or something like that but bnc to component video etc.

ah well, i doubt id ever do it since most the stuff id like to hook up to it isnt progressive.

The Xbox does out put progressive. It will say most of the time on the back what it is outputting

Here is a site that has a lot of info for that http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

and I have it running at home so im positive that it does. :)