Sign in to follow this  
Vic Mackey

Ups Help

Ok so I got my computer parts sorted out, now I have a question about my UPS. It is rated for 450W and my new PSU is gonna be 550W. Would you suggest I get a new UPS also? I dont really have money for it right now, do you think it would be ok to hook my new PSU into the 450W UPS until mid february? I can get a UPS then...

PS I have lived here for 2.5 years and never lost power so do you think it could wait a few weeks?

looking at your system, the most i think you'l probably use is about 400 watts at full load, tho i might want to invest in a bigger ups, that'll give you like 5 minutes of up time at full load when theres no power

That'll be fine, i doubt that rig will use more than 400 watts

that is my old rig.... here is new one

AMD 64 3700+

Asus A8N-SLI mobo

evga 7800gt 256mb

keeping 1.5 GB Corsair XMS from current comp

keeping my SB Audigy 2 ZS from current comp

Plextor Dvd-RW from current comp

WD Raptor from current comp

Enermax 550W PSU

All depends on how much power you system uses. But you might need a bigger ups your ups also has to power monitor too so take that into consideration .

All depends on how much power you system uses. But you might need a bigger ups your ups also has to power monitor too so take that into consideration .

613575[/snapback]

I used a website a few days to determine that and it was like 292W for everything I listed there. I dunno how much my monitor would use its an Imagequest Q910 19".

The only accurate way to guage your UPS needs is to have a wattage meter like a Kill-A-Watt meter. I am going to give some theorhetical examples to help you guage your needs.

Suppose your system uses around 100watts DC when idling and 200watts DC while under load (gaming, etc.) However DC does not equal AC. If you system uses 100watts DC while idle, your PSU consumes around 142.85 watts AC (assuming a AC to DC conversion efficiency of 70%). Also, I am assuming your Antec PSU has no Active PFC, but rather passive or no PFC at all your Power Factor (PF) would be 0.60 for example. If your PSU consumes 142.85watts AC, then it will consume 238.083 VA (what your UPS is rated by). For the 200watt DC load, it would be 285watts AC, therefore 475 VA.

Those numbers are only for the PC (theorhetical, your numbers will vary). CRT monitors typically consume 120-200watts AC, with a PF of 0.50. Again you wont know the numbers for your setup without a AC wattage meter like the one I linked above.

My advice? It sounds like the current UPS you have will be easily overloaded or wont last very long at all.

My advice? It sounds like the current UPS you have will be easily overloaded or wont last very long at all.

613596[/snapback]

I would have to agree, but it should still be just fine for protection, and with auto shutdown software, it should be just fine. That is assuming your power needs remain the same, and assuming that You dont want to keep on workign while the power's out. I woudl still look into a new one (i need to as well) but I wouldnt rush out and buy one today. Look around for nice deals etc.

I would have to agree, but it should still be just fine for protection, and with auto shutdown software, it should be just fine.  That is assuming your power needs remain the same, and assuming that You dont want to keep on workign while the power's out.  I woudl still look into a new one (i need to as well) but I wouldnt rush out and buy one today.  Look around for nice deals etc.

613606[/snapback]

Ok thanks guys! So if I use this UPS till next month I should be ok? I wont like blow up my system by using this UPS will I? I planned on turning comp off and unplugging it during a storm until I get the new UPS next month.

Lol, of course not, the only thing that would be bad about your current one is that it may not supply enough power to keep your computer on for more than a few minutes in the event of a power outage, but will definitely be enough to save and shutdown safely.

What brand is it also? That should be a huge factor in getting a new one or not, I would be more concerned with if it was an off-brand and then you should be more concerned with losing your PC in the event of an accident over keeping your computer on if the power goes out.

first off, you'll be fine. I've used 450's on monsters like my dual opteron 242 and it worked fine. it'll give ya few minutes in a black out, hold you up in a brown out, and certainly work very well as a surge protector.

first off, you'll be fine.  I've used 450's on monsters like my dual opteron 242 and it worked fine.  it'll give ya few minutes in a black out, hold you up in a brown out, and certainly work very well as a surge protector.

613651[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies! My UPS is by a company called APC. I think I bought it in either Best Buy or CompUsa I dont remember. Its been a couple years :P

Edited by Vic Mackey