Gfx Overclock

ok so the core clock on the card originally was clocked at 351.00 and i was able to overclock it to 410.76 and then the memory was originally clocked at 324.00 and i clock it to 360.78 i am not going any higher till i have a good source of active cooling on it because of previous tests have been able to acvhieve a 6 c to 10 c tempo drop with a active cooling processor fan running through a gatewatch... i look forward to telling you all the results....Is this clock any good?

Thanks.

Hey, congrats. That's a pretty decent core clock, it may even have more in it yet. You should be able to get more on the memory. I think the best I did on mine was 440/390. I think Nerm is top dog here with 9800Pro. I can't remember his clocks, but they were pretty impressive.

410/360 isn't bad. I had a 9800pro that did 461/385 on stock cooling but it was an unusual card so I wouldn't expect you to try and push yours that far on stock cooling.

EDIT: yes r_target the last I checked I still had the highest 3dmark03 score with a 9800pro on air.

heh... i had to put a vga silencer on mine (lapped), tweakmonster ramsinks (lapped and epoxied), and volt-mod mine to get mine to 415/370 or so lol... it was the most stubborn pos ever lol - it was an R350 tho so that kinda explains it... good fun modding it all the same :D

so for stock cooling (assuming you're artifact free) that's not bad going at all dude...

EDIT: yes r_target the last I checked I still had the highest 3dmark03 score with a 9800pro on air.

613210[/snapback]

...and last i checked i had the highest 05 :P

My r350 aiw clocks like garbage(they all do), but last run i did I managed to beat 505 core out of it with custom air cooling and a volt mod, pushing waaay over "safe" volts. Tbone here has gotten the highest core clocks I believe, but I doubt you will be able to breach 500 core without a fair amount of experience with cooling and voltmodding.

**edit** oops, never answerd your question did i? :lol: Volt-modding is physically changing the circuitry of a part to be able to raise or adjust the voltage to a component. You can voltmod mobo ram, mobo cpus, vga ram, gpus, and just about anything else that would gain a benefit from increased voltage. **edit**

**edit2** oh, one more thing. Even if you arent voltmodded make sure you keep an eye on temps - the 9800 series cards are HOT. I suggest getting temp probe/display and mounting it witht he tip right up next to the core of the gpu **edit2**

how is the whole volt-modding done to a GFX card im going to ahve a processor fan cooling it and i am even thinkning about instaling liquid cooling on it... i wanna be able to clock this thing so high that it will be unbelieveable...

613858[/snapback]

Its sadly not that easy...

A lot of things go into a great oc. Stock alumin cooling wont get you anything extreme, and neather will regular water cooling. Large copper heatsinks with high cfm fans or peltiers are the way to go for extreme gpu cooling. Also, volt mods are different for every card. Google your card model and see how many wires will need to be soldered on for each voltage circuit - my 9800pro AIW needs a total of for mods to be complete, but only 2 mods plus two monitor points to be functional for the gpu/mem vmods. Diff models of 9800's may have the layout in a diff spot so you may have to search your card a bit for the right IC to mess with.