How Do I Repopulate My Programs List?

yiotta

A long long story, but basically, I had to reinstall windows xp. I didn't backup

and of the setting information files.

All of my prior programs are still on the HDD, I can see them when looking into the drive contents, but the program list no longer shows them.

How do I repopulate that list?

I am not talking about the few most accessed programs list, but the full program

list accessed by:

START -> All Programs ->

Drive letter:\Documents and Settings\User acount\Start Menu\Programs

For example, for me it would be C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\Start Menu\Programs

From there, create folders and shortcuts to your programs

edit, you could also drag and drop, but its a painful methode. Also, you probably wont be able to run these applications because you will be missing some key files and regestry keys as a result of reinstalling windows.

yeah, most programs have to have a key in your registry in order for it to run properly, as well as some dll files.

613083[/snapback]

so, for those that give me an error when I try to run it, those need to be reinstalled?

so, for those that give me an error when I try to run it, those need to be reinstalled?

613090[/snapback]

most likely. OCCASIONALLY, if it tells you what dll's it's missing, you may be able to download just the dll's (google them), but that only works in rare cases.