Gas Mileage Is Dropping!

airman

I dont have any articles or anything, but i know its a fact just bc of physics labs i've done :P

Only thing i could think of with the amp would be that it is drawing more power so it is making the alternator work harder (more resistance means it will be harder for the engine to turn the alternator belt). So therefore you are going to be putting a slightly higher strain on the engine than before. One thing that really might help out is to wire up a home-made ground kit, just use like amp wire (4 gauge) and get some gold plated connectors and run a ground from the alternator to the chassis. I've grounded a lot of components in my engine bay and i've noticed easier starting in colder weather and a very slight increase in mpg.

i would check all those things, and the oxygen sensor, that thing is usually overlooked. and its cheap, well for my car it was lol, like 30 bucks.

it should be located in the header, or somewhere before the catalytic converter. sometimes newer cars have 2, one in front and one behind, and they just screw out. the hardest part if you needed to replace it might be following the wire to where its plugged in.

but worn out oxygen sensors are one of the biggest reasons cars polute more than they should, becuase the sensor isnt sending the right info to the computer and then the engine wont run at top performance. which also makes crappy fuel mileage.

And sadly most people never know about them till they fail a emmisions or a check engine light comes on lol. ;)

edit: oh and you will need a custom socket, which you can get at a local car part store. its like 5-10 bucks

Edited by virus

Guest Flashstar

If you have been reving your engine excessively, then you may need to have your engine rebuilt. What happens is that if the rpms of your engine get into the red zone, they will actually start to grind out the main engine block creating spaces, thus letting gas escape and reducing power.

This may not be the case, but if all else fails, think about this.