Sign in to follow this  
Vic Mackey

Power Supply Pin Help!

The new ASUS mobo im buying has a 24 pin slot but my antec PSU is only 20 pin. Now I did read the FAQ at the top but his example was on an Intel and my new computer will be AMD. Do you think a 20 pin 430W Antec PSU will support power for this computer:

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD 64 3700+ San Diego

Evga 7800gt

WD Raptor 74gb

1.5GB Corsair XMS

SB Audigy 2 ZS

Plextor DVD-RW

Best way is to try, i know the msi diamond takes a 20 pin psu no problems.

You can always buy a 20-24 adaptor not many recomend doing that thou ive had no problems with mine.

I was reading the manual for my psu and it says " single 20 pin Main Power Connector, a 6 pin AUX power connector, and a 4 pin +12v power connector". Now is that 4 pin connector the one I need to make a 24 pin connection? Also, what is the 6 pin AUX connector for?

I was reading the manual for my psu and it says " single 20 pin Main Power Connector, a 6 pin AUX power connector, and a 4 pin +12v power connector". Now is that 4 pin connector the one I need to make a 24 pin connection? Also, what is the 6 pin AUX connector for?

612626[/snapback]

the 4 pin IS NOT the connector that you need for the 24 pins, it is a separate connection on the motherboard. the 6 pin is for pci-e cards.

Edited by danyo64

No that is NOT what that 4 pin is reffering to. That would be for like CD ROM drives and such. Save up some money and just buy a new power supply. Get another ANTEC though!

the 4 pin IS NOT the connector that you need for the 24 pins, it is a separate connection on the motherboard, i think it provides power for pci slots and all that (not sure) if im wrong on that plz correct me :blink:  and the 6 pin is for pci-e cards.

612630[/snapback]

The 2x2 4 pin connector is the 12v power source for the mobo.

Best way is to try, i know the msi diamond takes a 20 pin psu no problems.

You can always buy a 20-24 adaptor not many recomend doing that thou ive had no problems with mine.

612231[/snapback]

I'M with dean all the way :)

Guest Raven65

I'll put the third vote in, buy the 20 to 24 pin adapter for 5 bucks on newegg and your problem will be solved. Also just use the lower end where the 20 pin fits I did that with my msi board before I became aware of an adapter and it worked fine. I just bought another psu, it was time though and I had the money. The boards are reverse compatible with the 20 pin.

I'll put the third vote in, buy the 20 to 24 pin adapter for 5 bucks on newegg and your problem will be solved. Also just use the lower end where the 20 pin fits I did that with my msi board before I became aware of an adapter and it worked fine. I just bought another psu, it was time though and I had the money. The boards are reverse compatible with the 20 pin.

613103[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies! Well I decided im just gonna buy a new PSU. I will need one for going SLI anyways so Im gonna get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817103437

Thanks for the replies! Well I decided im just gonna buy a new PSU. I will need one for going SLI anyways so Im gonna get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817103437

613173[/snapback]

I'd personally get this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817194003

dual-12v lines and dual-pci-e