Sign in to follow this  
JerrDogg77

Wth Am I Doing Wrong?

ok i dont know wtf is going on, this is now the third dvd/cd writer in a year that i have bought and the third that doesnt work. I just dont understand it, am i doing something wrong? this dirive is the nec 3550 dvd/cd burner, system in my sig, jumper is on cs now was on master, plugged into secondary master cable, only media drive in my system, plays games and dvds fine, but locks up when i put blank media in and wont recognize the disc. ive tried probably 20 different types of discs so its not that. I swear to god im gonna smash my fing comp against the wall. I am showing pics of when there isnt a blank disc in and when there is and what happens when there is and i click on the drive

Guest Raven65

Sounds like a hardware problem for sure. Call NEC see what they have to say, that will be a start. I have the same drive in anothert rig and it works fine. Also change the jumper back to master.

EDIT: It could also be your ide cable, try a different one, not one that came with the drive.

have you been using the same cable for all these dvd drives? Although rare, cables DO go bad every now and then.

Also, make sure you don't have any other drive trying to use the "D" letter.

Guest Raven65
have you been using the same cable for all these dvd drives?  Although rare, cables DO go bad every now and then.

Also, make sure you don't have any other drive trying to use the "D" letter.

612163[/snapback]

LOL, you beat me to it. look at my edit.

how about not using an NEC drive? I've used plenty of dvd burners, and never been overly happy with NEC ones ever.

I'd suggest the TSST corp (samsung / toshiba joint project) or Optorite (aka sanyo / plextor / tdk) ones. both of them tend to be fairly cheap, and suprisingly just work wonders.

well like i said this is my third drive, my last was a samsung, and the one before that was a sony i think. ill try to change the cable out with a different one. i have to wait for nec to send me my account info so i can get into the help section, oh well im going to bed, ill try some more in the morning.

Have you been using the Same molex connector to it? Prehaps you could test the voltages on that line to the Drive.

Its a possibility.

but no of those make sense to me, would those be syptoms of not recognizing blank media? i mean other than that they have all worked fine, i jsut cant burn, could it be software?right now i have all my burning software uninstalled, but it should still recognize a disk right?

Edited by JerrDogg77

well like i said this is my third drive, my last was a samsung, and the one before that was a sony i think.  ill try to change the cable out with a different one.  i have to wait for nec to send me my account info so i can get into the help section, oh well im going to bed, ill try some more in the morning.

612174[/snapback]

now that's a helpful fact that we could have used earlier :) rules out the drive itself. you've also ruled out the different types of media. my next step would be to try the IDE cable, and last but not least, get out the old spare hard drive, load windows fresh, install your drivers, burning software and see how it goes.

as far as the power supply... one molex being low? no it doesn't work that way STE. all of the molex connectors are getting thier power from the same place. they're in parallel, no way just ONE could be running at a lower voltage. :rolleyes: LOGICAL thinking makes trouble shooting much easier STE. Look at the cables on your power supply and you'll see why your idea makes no sense. and I'm not flaming you here, trying to teach you something that's all.

I had a bad Molex plug .

A friend of mine had a old copy of Easy Cd Creator that messed up things in Xp SP2.