Dfi Nf4 Hardware & Bios Guide

There are so many darn questions about the NF4 DFI boards that have been asked over and over, it makes my head spin. So I've decided to make a collection of links filled with helpful information. I made this with the nForce4 LANPARTY series in mind (Ultra-D, SLI-D, SLI-DR, SLI-DR Expert). I do not know how much of this information is applicable to the Infinity series and DFI's other 939 boards (EDIT: I have been informed that most of this applies to the Infinity). Not all of this is exclusive to DFI mobos, but it's useful nonetheless.

This is also my attempt to make myself known here at OCC, I'm hoping this gets pinned. ;)

I welcome any help with additional links, better descriptions, or... anything really.

DISCLAIMER: I had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of any of this material. I'm just putting it all in one place.

Last Updated: 5 January 2006

--Overclocking--

THE DEFINITIVE DFI A64 OVERCLOCKING GUIDE

Everything you've ever wanted to know about overclocking your A64... in fact, it's probably way more than you want to know.

Contents:

1a. Confused by HTT? LDT? FSB? A64??? READ THIS!

1b. Overclocking the HTT bus.. Is it worth it ??

2. Which BIOS is best for me?

3. A64 Overclocking

4. DFI NF4 BIOS Memory Guide (cchalogamer: Should be very useful for thoes who can OC but want to tweak to get the MOST out of the mem.)

5. Important Links (contains many of the links I have here)

Also available in a downloadable PDF form here.

Investigations into Socket 939 Athlon64 Overclocking

A relatively basic, but long and well written, article by Anandtech covering overclocking. It coveres everything from cases and PSUs to BIOS settings. The article uses an A64 3200+ (Venice core), DFI NF4 Infinity, and two different types of memory.

cchalogamer: That is a GREAT article for the beginig PC builder that wants to OC aswell... Lots of building info and OCing info.

--Memory--

What Memory Modules Should I Get?

Self-explanatory. Contains both general tips and specific recommendations for memory for your DFI.

Tight Timings with Divider vs. Loose Timings 1:1

Finally, an answer with the tests to back it up.

1T vs. 2T Comparison

Another controversial topic laid to rest with more tests.

The Somewhat Complete A64 Memory Timings/Settings guide

Short explanations of the meanings behind certain memory settings and their impact on performance. Includes some tips on how to set BIOS options.

A64 Ram Divider Training Guide and Overclocking Tips

Exactly what the title says. There's even a nifty program you can download to make your life easier. "You can use [the program] to help calculate your ram speed and total cpu clock by using different dividers and cpu muti's."

RAM List

A lengthy list of RAM modules and what types of chips they use (includes timings and voltages for some).

--Power--

DFI NF4 Ultra/SLI PSU Guide

Recommended power supplies for DFI boards. Contains sections for the Expert, modular PSUs, best bang for the buck, quiet PSUs, and other useful information.

DFI NF SLI-DR Expert PSU Guide

Recommened power supplies for Expert boards. Much of this information is included in the previous link.

--Other--

BIOS From A to Z

A basic/general guide to changing BIOS settings. This isn't intended for the "experts" here at OCC. This is for the people that made the choice (mistake?) to get a DFI for their very first build and are seemingly in way over their heads.

NF4 Memory & Voltage BIOS Chart

A blank, printable chart that you can use to keep track of your settings. This was created by THunDA over at DFI Street. "Prints fine off of IE----set your margins to .5 inch both sides in page setup before you print----leave in 'Portrait' mode."

Current List of AMD64 Processor Specs, Info, FAQs, And More!

Self-explanatory.

Contents:

- CHAPTER 1: A64's

- Part 1: The available CPU's

- Part 2: The technicalities

- Part 2.1: Interpreting codes

- Part 2.2: Core specifics

- Part 3: Overclocking

- Part 3.1: Knowledge you need

- Part 3.2: Basic overclocking

- Part 3.3: Tweaking on

- Part 4: FAQ for newbs

- CHAPTER 2: AXP's

- Part 1: Troubleshooting an overclocked system (skeensp)

- CHAPTER 3: Useful utils (Always under construction)

- Part 1: CPU

- Part 2: Memory

- Part 3: General

- ROADMAPS

Extreme Overclocking Wiki

This has so much information I couldn't list it under any other section. Here are some titles of random articles: Opteron Steppings; Legacy Intel Hardware; Audigy, Audigy2, Audigy2ZS to Audigy 4 Softmod; Water Cooling... As you can see, it is fairly extensive.

--------

cchalogamer

Edited by Bleeble

i think i'll pin this since everyone and their cousin's dog has a dfi nf4 now and no-one seems to be willing to do the research or experimentation themselves...

nice work dude :)

i think i'll pin this since everyone and their cousin's dog has a dfi nf4 now and no-one seems to be willing to do the research or experimentation themselves...

nice work dude :)

611271[/snapback]

I don't have one. Nor does my cousin's dog. Actually, I don't think I have any cousins with dogs. shrug.

Nice post though.

OK after browsing some of the links, a good 90% (if not more) of it also directly applies to the Infinity boards. A few bios options are rearranged, but anyone with a DFI NF4 board should be able to gain somethgin from reading that stuff.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...179&postcount=4

Should be very useful for thoes who can OC but want to tweak to get the MOST out of the mem.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548&p=1

That is a GREAT article for the beginig PC builder that wants to OC aswell... Lots of building info and OCing info.

Anyway great post.

OK after browsing some of the links, a good 90% (if not more) of it also directly applies to the Infinity boards.  A few bios options are rearranged, but anyone with a DFI NF4 board should be able to gain somethgin from reading that stuff.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...179&postcount=4

Should be very useful for thoes who can OC but want to tweak to get the MOST out of the mem.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2548&p=1

That is a GREAT article for the beginig PC builder that wants to OC aswell... Lots of building info and OCing info. 

Anyway great post.

611309[/snapback]

I added the info about Infinity boards. I technically had those two links in there, but I added emphasis to the first one (red text) and added your description for the second. Thanks!

I also added a link to a blank chart you can use to keep track of your settings under "Other."