Sign in to follow this  
flashystylez

Ok, Im Stumped Here.

Hey all,

I have a new day, and a new question for you. I am feeling so noob asking you, but I dont want to waste cash for nothing.

I am in the process of overclocking my new opty 146, and I sold my g.skill last night, and I am currently having a debate. I was wanting 2 gigs of ram for a while now, but I want to maintain the 3.0ghz overclock on the opty.

I was reading alot about dividers and such, but I was wondering, If I buy a 2 gig set of OCZ Platinum PC4000 off the egg, do you think I should be able to put a divider on it so that I can get back to my 3.0ghz overclock? Or am I stuck with 1 gig sets??

Help a lost person!

hmm... well yeah with a divider thats possible... so thats like 250 (ram, it'll probably go higher) and 300 mhz htt, thats like a ratio of 5:6...

I don't know how much things have changed since I was a serious poster here, but I've never liked using dividers. Personally, I'd rather use 1GB of RAM with no divider. The latency hits kinda nullify any gains on the CPU speed.

What are you doing that requires that much memory?

I don't know how much things have changed since I was a serious poster here, but I've never liked using dividers.  Personally, I'd rather use 1GB of RAM with no divider.  The latency hits kinda nullify any gains on the CPU speed.

What are you doing that requires that much memory?

610229[/snapback]

well, I dont really know to be honest, mostly gaming. Ive heard from everyone that BF2 and FEAR love 2 gigs. Thats about it mostly.

well, I dont really know to be honest, mostly gaming. Ive heard from everyone that BF2 and FEAR love 2 gigs. Thats about it mostly.

610243[/snapback]

bf2 uses ~1.2 gigs at max settings, but it'll run pretty good after the first minute after all the windows junk gets pagefiled

bf2 uses ~1.2 gigs at max settings, but it'll run pretty good after the first minute after all the windows junk gets pagefiled

610284[/snapback]

Easy solution, don't use max settings, :P

Or you could buy two 1GB sticks and hopefully not have any problems. heh

hey flash, your running the same rig as me minus the cm stack, a msi 7800gtx, the fx g.skill tccd ram :lol: other than that we got the same rigs, steppings and overclocks overall :lol: whats your timings? i normally run @ 2.5-4-3-7, but atm im @ 2.5-4-4-8 because im pushing this beyond 3ghz this week. hehe, back in topic, with that overclock, i doubt 2gigs of ram will work on a 3ghz that great.

do you have any problems with bf2 on your system? the demo doesnt work on my rig for some reason, i wont be reformatting anytime soon because its too time consuming now, perhaps during regents week or another time heh.

DFI Street is your friend :)

Memory reccomendations

DFI NF4 Memory guide

There's another thread I can't find right now that shows that using 2T vs. 1T make very little real world difference. Now, if you're a benchmark nut, you just have to decide if scores are more important than gaming performance.

EDIT: wee! more links!

Tight Timings with Divider vs. Loose Timings at 1:1

So is extremeoverclocking.com

The Somewhat Complete A64 Memory Timings/Settings guide

A64 Ram Divider Training Guide and overclocking tips

Nothing, aside from benchmarks, uses so much memory bandwidth that you'd be better off with a significantly lower CPU frequency/speed. Example: 275x11 (3025 MHz) with memory divider > 255x11 (2805 MHz) at 1:1.

:thumbs-up:

Edited by Bleeble

yes, 1t command rate makes a WORLD of difference becuase i am a benchmark whore, and i bet there are others like me :D

yes, 1t command rate makes a WORLD of difference becuase i am a benchmark whore, and i bet there are others like me :D

611019[/snapback]

lol, you people and your benchmarking :P

I'm sure there are a lot of users like you on OCC. But there are also a lot of users like me that don't worry about benchmarks too much. That's why I added that sentence. :)