Newb At Linux

i_lag

well i would like to try out linux, and make my comp a dual boot setup.

i have read over some of the distro's and the ones that have really caught my eye(for beginners like me) were SUSE, Fedora core 4, and MANDRAKE, well i just wanted to know your opinions on these distro's

i am doing this to just gain experience about linux, and to create servers in the future(CS:S, DNS, Filesharing, smpt ect.).

i was trying to install CS:S dedicated server but i think it will only work with XP/Linux(i have 2000 sp4)(i cant update, i can load the dedicated server but i cant update successfully), and since i can get most linux distro's for free....why not

I started out with Fc4. Fc4 ain't too bad just rpms can get annoying when you have to search the web for dependencys tho. Same with mandrake I'm afaraid too but past that both make a good starting point to get into linux. So I'd suggest eitehr Fc4 or mandrake maybe SuSE not too sure maybe cig will have something to say about it. Oh and cig if you read this post would vlos be anygood for starting out since its like gentoo but newb friendly?

hmm well i think i want to start with fc4, done alot of research on it and it looks pretty newb friendly but still teaches you bout linux.

and please no one suggest Linsipre, im not that newby, and i would like to learn linux so one day i could get.....say slackware? heard good things bout that for more advanced users.....but that will come later....

any other suggestions?

http://distrowatch.com/

has reviews and stuff

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/

http://lwn.net/Distributions/

^ a really good big list

610586[/snapback]

yes i have looked at all those sites, and FC4 still sticks out in my mind as a better one, ive also heard good things bout MAndrake, but ive done research on FC4, so i think ill stick with that....now heres my other question..........

i would be making a dual boot setup....now i would just like to make a new partition for linux, any one got any(FREE) partitioning software they would like to recommend?

and i change my format from NTFS to FAT32 so FC4 can read the contents on my windows partition right?

srry for all the questions......just dont want to botch my first atempt at linux

make two partionins, have windows on one and have linux on the other... there isn't any need to have special software. most distros have their own 'what os would you like' screen anyway, if not you can just hold down [i forget which key] on startup, and select which.

make two partionins, have windows on one and have linux on the other... there isn't any need to have special software. most distros have their own 'what os would you like' screen anyway, if not you can just hold down [i forget which key] on startup, and select which.

610588[/snapback]

oh ic thanks for the quick reply, and what about the NTFS format...... redhat said FC4 can only read your windows partition files if it is in VFAT........well i've heard of FAT32 but not VFAT.......explain plz

Linux can only read NTFS... there is a module out there that will enable writing, but it is extremely limited-- you can't change the file size-- and you run a serious risk of corrupting the NTFS volume.

Linux can freely read and write to FAT32 volumes. VFAT is the Linux file system equivalent to FAT32.

In my dual-boot system (XP Pro/Salckware 10.2), I have a small (512MB) FAT32 partition called "Scratchpad" which I use to move files back and forth between the two OSes.

I dual boot Xp Pro and gentoo. Gentoo is very good i'm very happy with it and yes it is great for advanced users. Portage is great since all you have to do is update it with emerge sync and run emerge insertprogramnamehere and it does everything else for you even finds all required dependencies. You can also add optimazation flags to speed up the install process. Gentoo is known for its customization and I would highly suggest that you try taht after you become experianced enough.

BTW there is also another distro called vidalinux don't know if you might have read about it or not but it is very simular to gentoo but more newb friendly and with a newb friendly installation compared to gentoos mroe advanced one taht might aslo be another good place to start.

Edited by Compxpert

Linux can only read NTFS... there is a module out there that will enable writing, but it is extremely limited-- you can't change the file size-- and you run a serious risk of corrupting the NTFS volume.

Linux can freely read and write to FAT32 volumes. VFAT is the Linux file system equivalent to FAT32.

In my dual-boot system (XP Pro/Salckware 10.2), I have a small (512MB) FAT32 partition called "Scratchpad" which I use to move files back and forth between the two OSes.

610689[/snapback]

your contradicting your self.......make up ur mind:lol: here....

(read the second "NOTE" box.....

but yes i do like the idea of a scratch pad, but that would be a little bit of a pain sending files back and forth through a middle partition......

so there is a dual-boot/partitioning/whatever you want ot call it Utility that comes with FC4....just making sure...dont want to install everything and mess everything up...

and yes i will back up my files for saftey....so dont have to remind me bout that.....

I started with Fedora, I really like it.  If you cant make up your mind here is a test that you can take and it will narrow it down to what distro is best for you

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

610774[/snapback]

hmm thanks i took the test and it suggested mandriva/mandrake or whatever.....but me and my stubborn was, are still leaning towards FC4, ive done alot of research and read alot of books on linux, specificly FC4....so thats pretty much decided, unless someone comes up with an amazing distro which is one that i've never heard of...(yes i've memorized alot of distros...

well anything else i should know before i go ahead and Download the ISO'S for FC4(im gonna dl the x86_64 one since i got 64-bit sempy)????????????