Sb Or Turtle Beach?

robAP

well back in the day, Soundblaster was for the gamers (ad-lib was for the poor gamers) and the Turtle Beach system was for the audiophiles. Now SB has come a long way and is really good....(ad-lib is dead i believe) and from the reviews, Turtle beach is still very good. can anyone out there confirm that turtle beach is STILL a good company when it comes to sound? that they still know just what they're doing? looking around for their stuff its all online ordering. I cant find a store in my area that carrys them on the shelf.

its been a long time since i was in the market for a sound card. the only reason tho here is to take the load off the CPU, and then later experience the sound phenominon. so a good acard is what im looking for....(.i dont need the $200 x-fi SB card.)

Edited by robAP

I don't even know for sure if TB is still around. Last I heard CL was trying to buy them too.

at any rate I say get the CL card, toss the CL driver disk in the trash and go with the KX drivers. improved audioquality with far less issues for me.

I suggest the cheaper Audigy. And as long as you don't install too much of the Creative software, you'll be fine. I suggest installing drivers alone.

The Audigy has much better support for EAX, which is good for surround sound in games. The Turtle Beach has better clarity and less clipping, however, for music listening.

hmm. well i guess im looking for the gaming aspect then of a sound card. something that takes load off the CPU and has good audio performance. overall clarity for "listening" audiophile style of use right now dosent appeal to me until i build a media center box....only then will that make a differenc efor me. so i guess its off to go buy a (CL)SB audigy card.

but at what point is too cheap for one? i liked the turtle beach's ability to take up to 15% load off the CPU.....at what level does SB begin to well.....not be a useful card in this regard?

For games - Audigy2 ZS, since it's mostly geared towards games and is still significantly cheaper than the X-Fi. Of course, the X-Fi has features that newer games will surely take advantage of. Want a card that's great for music, and pretty high up on the scale for games (but still not on par with the Audigy 2)? M-Audio revolution 5.1, awesome for headphones and 5.1 channel listening (the 5.1 is newer and better than the 7.1 version, so don't get the 7.1) The revo 5.1 is around $100. Want a card that's cheaper than that for primarily headphone use or as a transport for digital-out? The Chaintech AV-710 will serve fine in that area, as it's about 25 bucks and has a pretty decent DAC on the 7/8 channel out for headphone use (though, you'll need an amp if you're going 50 ohms or higher to be able to drive the headphones). When it comes to games though, this isn't that great, but it's still better than onboard. Turtle beach is alright, but they're not as renown as before - M-audio, E-MU, ESi and standalone DAC's are the way to go for hi-fi listening out of a PC.

well i hate it but im one of those that want alot for not much at all and still hate paying money. im not tight....just financially efficient :)

anyway, looks like the audigy 2 value is a good one for me. was thinkin about the live 24bit but really....i cant have ONLY the vanilla...

thank you dark scorpion. you've answered all our questions on this matter.

If lilkev was here, he'll write you a page on how good turtle beach is, especially the top one which is if i remember correctly the only one giving true 7.1, but who has 8 speakers lol :lol:

Well for gamers the Audigy is the choice to go with and my Audigy 2 ZS is great. But if you're looking for super duper high quality there was some sound card that had true THX encoding or something like that... You can search for it on here, it was brought up before.