Sign in to follow this  
rendertrust

G71&g72

well i've been reading that ati's new video card will be released around jan 26th ... i would think nvidia would be realesing their g71 in early feb. well im currently looking at a 300$ price range for a video card and especially at the 7800gt ... the g72 is going to be the next mid range card.. anybody have any info or educated guesses on how long it will take the g72 to be on sale on newegg. ?and would "mid-range" be in the 450$ range

I would say spring time but I am wondering if it will be a DirectX 9 card or a DirectX 10 card, because if they launch it as a 9 card and 10 comes out I fear that we will get screwed in the end like always. :angry2:

well my question regarding dx10 is whether it's going to be released when vista is released? What's the release date on Vista? I think Feb06, right? I assume winxp would support dx10 as well, right? It better, because I don't feel like plopping down $300+ on a new OS.

and back to the main issue at hand, ati's launch will merely be a paper launch...don't expect to find the card to buy anytime soon after that.

well my question regarding dx10 is whether it's going to be released when vista is released?  What's the release date on Vista?  I think Feb06, right?  I assume winxp would support dx10 as well, right?  It better, because I don't feel like plopping down $300+ on a new OS.

and back to the main issue at hand, ati's launch will merely be a paper launch...don't expect to find the card to buy anytime soon after that.

609167[/snapback]

well, ATI claims THIS TIME there will be volume availability.........but they said that last time, so we shall see, hopefully they do, would be good for the somewhat stagnant new card market including the 7800GTX 512 situation, hopefully, and i am pretty sure, that the G71 will be readily available in Nvidia standard fashion of lately

i am not so sure about Vista in Feb......maybe, i think it may be delayed till summer roughly, but they have made it a point to say that it will ship with DX9 and DX10 support and that some of the advanced features will be available to DX9 users

with R580/G71 coming probably in February, and those being DX9 cards, i dont see a G80/R600 DX10 launch in the same period......that would be suicide for sales for either company, unless we get a surprise and R580/G71 are DX10 compatable, which i highly doubt

may be likely that DX10 hardware is not immediately available when Vista is released, or will M$ delay Vista to wait for the hardware.....

speculation...speculation.....

Guest Raven65

Nothing I have seen has stated what version of dx thses cards will be using, I'm going to say it's better to wait about 6 months and then we'll all be upgrading.

well is it normal for nvidia to release the midrange cards(g72) way after releasing the high end card(g71).. the g72 would be looking at an early summer launch .. by then vista would have been out a few months & the g72 would have to support dx10 or no one will bother getting them.. anybody have any info on the g72 rather than the g71 ? ... also i read that ati's 580 is alot bigger than the 520, its more than likely that all the new cards are going to be bigger than the ones out currently even though they are 90nm.. hope everybody has a big case

well is it normal for nvidia to release the midrange cards(g72) way after releasing the high end card(g71).. the g72 would be looking at an early summer launch .. by then vista would have been out a few months & the g72 would have to support dx10 or no one will bother getting them.. anybody have any info on the g72 rather than the g71 ? ... also i read that ati's 580 is alot bigger than the 520, its more than likely that all the new cards are going to be bigger than the ones out currently even though they are 90nm.. hope everybody has a big case

609225[/snapback]

the core is bigger, not the PCB, from what i have read

vista MIGHT be delayed again :( so don't get your hopes up there. DXX (DX 10's new name? I dunno that's how MS is putting it down suddenly), is a 50/50 chance that it'll debut with vista or not. sounds more like NOT... as in expect it by feb and vista by march / april.

as far as when either the G71 / 72 comes out or the r580... I don't know for sure.