Sign in to follow this  
whimp

Another Question!

is it 100% safe to make these cpu keychains???

is there any toxins in the cpu because i plan on making some for my cousin becuase he loves computers and i have at least 7 cpu's and lots of ram modules laying around

Guest Raven65

I would think so. All they are is pcb and copper. or some sort of metal like that.

There have been no reports of anything being toxic or it being in a large enough amount to be toxic. My only suggestion is to use a diamond coated drill bit if you're going to drill through any processors that are made out of ceramic compounds. Trust me, titanium drill bits only managed to make a slight scratch in an old Intel I486 SX that I had laying around. 33mhz for those who care and I got it with this really old computer that had a 256 MB HD.

i got one, and im still breathing. so ill second the safety factor. the only unsafe part is when you run out of patience cuz it takes forever to get all those pins off, and throw the cpu in a random direction and it hits someone. thats about as dangerous as this gets.

I did some experimenting and I came to a rough conclusion. Any processor without a metal cover over the core(old school intels and such) will require a diamond drill bit. But MOST CPU's with metal covers will only require a regular drill bit or at the most, titanium. Now I didn't go through every processor made to test this but I used a bunch of old ones that I had including a old AMD K6-2. Hope this helps you a little more. Oh and before you drill put down a couple of layers of masking tape and put a dot where you will drill so that the bit doesn't slip and scratch the surface of the processor. Good luck! :D

IMO, the best proc to make a keycahin out of it the old Intel Pentium MMX with a black PCB, which is plastic.

cpu-233mmx-sckt7.jpg

Very easy to work with. Most others are ceramic.

These are cheap too.

those type of stuff won't hurt ya, maybe thermal grease or anything from a moniter maybe

Tip, you may wanna smooth out the edges like i did, the corners of the cpu really do hurt if you grab it with your hand for example

I have had my keychain ever since I wrote that guide on OCC and I am still alive and kicking :)

Marty is right about the MMx, that thing is wonders to make keychains with! Actually I think I have a pic of mine in my profile :)

Another good one would be a p2 slot processor. Takes a bit of work to pry off, but its small size, soft PCB and no pins makes it a wonderful keychain :)

Aother possible good keychains may be P4's, and A64s, I am still hunting for one of these :)

The pins hurt ( from a athlon XP atleast ), if i hold a athlon xp cpu, and squeeze a little bit, and then put the cpu down, i can feel where the pins were, sorta hurts.

on ebay, there is a guy selling 24-lots of the MMX ones. I just ordered on e for 20 bucks shipped, which I will use for keychains and amybe for a bit of other decoration/coasters etc.

Paypal me a buck and I'll send you one. (the OP)