Problem With Msi K8n Neo2 Platinum And 2 Gigs

Capo

I have a problem with my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and trying to upgrade from 1 gig of RAM to 2 gigs of PC3200 RAM.

My Mobo should go up to 4 gigs but unfortunately I have a problem. I currently have 2 512 sticks and was attempting to add another 2 512 sticks, giving me 2 gigs.

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is from having all 4 sticks being double sided memory and running at 200 (400) fsb? Apparently this is a bottle neck on the southbridge with this board? Even if I try to lower the RAM to 333 before I add the extra RAM I still get the problem (it won't post, it just gives me long beeps)

Is there a work around for this or am I just screwed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Capo

Guest Raven65

Did you try changing the ram around? that moght work. Otherwise check out the msi forums, they might have an answer.

The problem is associated to memory controllers in the Athlon 64 processors. Processors with weaker controllers cannot handle running 4 DIMM's at 1T (CPC Enabled). Turning it off may fix it.

i had the same problem with my Neo2. No way that I found to fix it/ work around it! I just recently bought 2X1GB sticks of GSkill, problem solved. Sorry man I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. :( Oh yeah you still should be able to boot with all 4 sticks just running 2T is all, and yes it will be a major bottleneck anyway so just stick with 2 sticks for now. :)

no work around 4 sticks of double sided ram runs at 2100 or 2700 cant be fixed just buy 2 1gb sticks are your set. i think the problems only with AMD64 MB maybe even only nforce chipset.