How To Make A Fan Run Slower Again?

flashystylez

For one of my folding boxes, I have an XP chip with a Volcano 7+ on it, and I lost the fan adjuster, so its running at FULL speed all the time, and sounds like an airplane. I was wondering how you make it slower? I remember doing this to my delta fans, but I dont remember the process. Thanks

You can make one yourself real ez in like 5 mins - i did when i had my 92mm tornado on full blast after my controller fried. Just take an old psu or something to get a male molex and a fan for a female one, and jump the two outside wires on the female (ground and 12v) to the two left side ones on the male. Here lemme make a quick paint to show you cuz that sounds hard to understand...

You can make one yourself real ez in like 5 mins - i did when i had my 92mm tornado on full blast after my controller fried. Just take an old psu or something to get a male molex and a fan for a female one, and jump the two outside wires on the female (ground and 12v) to the two left side ones on the male. Here lemme make a quick paint to show you cuz that sounds hard to understand...

608697[/snapback]

wow, thats smart.... leave it to puck to think of the easy ways of doing things... :)

i was about to suggest to buy a pot... but pucks way is better :bah:

are you sure thats a good idea?, 12 out of the psu conected to 5 out of the psu doesnt make a whole lot of sience.

608730[/snapback]

Its not 12 connected to 5...its +12 connected to -5 ;)

Fan reads difference in voltage(which=7v) and runs at a much more bearable speed.

Its not 12 connected to 5...its +12 connected to -5 ;)

Fan reads difference in voltage(which=7v) and runs at a much more bearable speed.

608742[/snapback]

http://afrotechmods.com/fanmod.htm

A little more voltage info.

btw 24v + 80mm fan = loud and powerful (aka screw tornados) but it also heavily damaged my finger...

Puck's 5v/7v/12v method would work very well, but for more flexibility, you could solder a variable resistor onto it.. essentially it is a fan controller.. just a very ghetto one :lol: