Drilling Holes In Case? (help)

Sigh.... I had the entire day planned. Wake up, get started on cutting two new fan holes for my case while waiting for the UPS guy to get here. I was going to be long done by now and already overclocked and everything like that and all that jazz. Well, I just woke up after going to sleep with frustration after my parts got here, because after I cut the holes in my case, nothing I could do would drill or punch a small hole in the case for the screwholes.

Drilling or anything won't work. There is no way to keep it steady enough once it hits the metal to drill a precise hole.

I'm posting here on my mom's horrid laptop, feeling kind of helpless. Do any of you have any proven methods for drilling or punching holes in metal? Or maybe some other method, such as some sort of incredibly strong adhesive that will stick a metal grill and plastic fan to a metal case with the fan running at full force. That would be kind of permanent, though, unless there was a solution I could pour on it to un-stickify it.

Please help. I can't continue building my PC until I get these fans in. That is, if it involves a tried and proven method of drilling metal. Don't want to get shards all over my components.

Edited by rpgaction

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this will work but couldnt you possibly cut a 2x4 to the height of your case (or if the hole is on the side cut it to the width of your case) then wedge the board in there and drill straight into the board. I am prolly just making things more complicated, but im pretty sure that will work, and before you start to drill make sure you punch a hole where you want the hole to be so it wont slide all over and scratch your case up.

what you want is a centrepunch (or centerpunch :P) ... you can get ones that don't even require a hammer... but hammer ones are good too... it's the basic nail and hammer idea, but done right...

all you need is that initial indentation and then you can drill a 1mm pilot hole, then a 2mm, then a 4mm and you should be done... :)

what you want is a centrepunch (or centerpunch :P) ... you can get ones that don't even require a hammer... but hammer ones are good too... it's the basic nail and hammer idea, but done right...

all you need is that initial indentation and then you can drill a 1mm pilot hole, then a 2mm, then a 4mm and you should be done... :)

607820[/snapback]

:withstupid: My new case is like 1mm thick hard steel in some parts, and I used the nail and hammer method - bit of a pain but you wont get anywhere trying to drill a hole without a pilot hole(or dent) first on steel :)