Outside Cooling?

Guest Fried_fry

Guest Fried_fry

I gave this idea I want to try but I would like to know what you guys think about it before I proseed.

My computer has 2 90mm fans for air flow (one in back one in front)

My idea is to make my back fan suck in and front blow out and stick the back of my pc out my window since it has a ledge.

What I would like to know from you is:

- Do you think it will drop some of my temps (since its winter)

- Do you think its safe for the computer

- What do you think of the idea

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It will drop temps, but what happens when its summer.

2. Not Safe for the computer, theres a chance it will get wet, instead using some 3" dryer hose for a getto ducting mod and put that in the window.

3. Its your idea give it a whirl and see what happens. Goodluck.

Guest Fried_fry

Im only going to try for the winter so, when I try i think I will use the tunnle type (ducting mod like you said) so nothing happens to my pc.

Ill post pics when I try it

anyone else have any feedback on this? :typing:

Edited by Fried_fry

This has been done so many times lol. You could have used the search feature and seen many topics about this. I agree with the ducting mod rather than actually taking it outside because it is safer for the PC. Also, I recommend you use 4" dryer duct rather than the 3" duct if you have 80+mm fans.

:withstupid: 's. Definitely duct it. Depending on where you life, just the ambient humidity could have enough pressure to push moisture inside your case regardless of the exhaust fan. Plus, it'll only take one time for you to leave there in the rain. One good gust of wind could blow the rain right into your case.

I personally had done this. Actually both mentioned here. Ducting and having the butt-end sticking out of my window (I live in Northern Minnesota).

My Ducting Mod: For and effective way I thought of having constant cold air (Sometimes Sub-zero) blowing inside my case, SAFELY. So I thought having some sort of fan blowing air down this duct towards my Rig. I regular fan is too bulky, big....It just doesn't work. A 120mm fan is still to big, and also the 90mm. all of which was not powerfull enough to blow. So my searched continues until one day i was thinking...HEY, how about one of those Blower fan types!! So my search brought me to this private handymans home and he sold me an old Microwave blower fan. PERFECT!

So I began hooking this thing up. Installed this Blower fan inside of a non-working air condition that was still installed. For the tubing or Ducting I used some black plastic 1 1/2" Drain Hose. The blower fan was technicially outside but was sheltered by this air conditioner. I attached one end to the Blower and worked the house through this air conditioner and into the house. Also the plug-in cord that came with this blower that this guy kindly hooked up for me. So I had this Duct ready to be attached to the case but I still didn't quite know how I was going to do this, and where on the case. Do I attach the hose to the side or the rear. I picked the rear as it was more hidden. I attached the hose to the fan grill on the back side of the case using some Zip ties. As far as the powering this Blower fan, I connected that to a switch so I can turn it on or off. Worked out great! This "ghetto" style ducting had raised some eye brows and I could tell from the people that seen this, it really wanted to be replicated. Sorry but I never took pics of this project. :(

butt-out-the-window Mod. I don't live in that place no more so I had to disconnect that Ducting Mod. If you were to look at my pics in the gallery it'll kinda give you an idea of how I have it set up now. Here's just one pic. Though I do close the window when I am not using my rig.

The difference..My case temp and everything else DOES NOT BREAK 35c EVER!! I am serious. I have had NO problems as of yet. I recommend that if your going to do this (Either option) just watch it closely. I mean, the weather! Right now, as we speak, the temp outside is a steamy 31 degrees F. It will get around 22 degrees tonight. As far as the temp inside my case I am showing for the CPU: 26.6c RAM:28.2 and case:30.4c.

Well that's it...Bottom line here is it can be done. It has been done before me and many times, Give 'er a try. Just be cautous and prepared.

all i can say is that condensation = bad!

607502[/snapback]

:bah: Yea..Whatever. All I can say is; "You're Right" Thats' why I said, "Just be cautious and prepared."

Knit-Pick all you want..But being a Modder that's a chance you take. The benefits or results are considerably noticable.

Additionally, If you're willing to pay whatver cost for a mistake, accident etc...well so be it. It's only money. and being a Modder, I can say that I have paid severely on several mistakes and it does not bother me. It's the fun and the Experimentation. :thumbs-up:

Furthermore...Ain't no different than having Water near by your components.

(Oh BTW..forgot to mention. To reduce the condensation as indicated maybe install a Dehumidifier inside your case. :blink: )