Would You Charge?

BloodySunday

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would depend on how good of a friend he is. I've been helping friends for years for nothing. (one frind always showed his appretiation by grtting me some upgrades too)

but most that I helped constantly wanted more and more help. So I had no choice to start charging. you give them an inch they want the whole arm.

607149[/snapback]

This is kind of why I want to start charging people. First its like fix my internet now its like I got an iPod help me set it up and show me how to use it. And I get phone calls while im out doing something asking for help or asking if I can come over and do something. One reason I don't want him building it himself is because I've let that happen before and they put everything together and then opps they forgot this and I end up going over there and fixing it but it takes more time then what it would have taken me to build it in the first place with no money none the less.

So a friend of mine from school wants me to build him a computer.  He wants me to pick out the parts then he wants to order it and me to put it together and install windows and all that junk.  Well when I asked him if he we give $50 for building it he flipped out.  So what do you think you think I should go no charge or what?

607058[/snapback]

On your side, a real friend wouldn't have asked for money. On his side, a real friend would have offered it, if not right upfront, after you gave it to him.

So IMO, you're both wrong, but you started it.

I never ask my friends or family for anything. Sometimes they'll offer me something, but I'll decline, and instead they'll just buy me a small gift or something. Same thing goes when they want me to walk/feed their dog when they're out of town.

I know, in general, I'm often too nice of a person, so take it as you will, but IMO, friends don't charge friends.

but IMO, friends don't charge friends.

607330[/snapback]

:withstupid: Although there are some situations and circumstances where friends should charge friends, but this is not one of them.

How about you offer to build it for him at no charge if he lets you put F@H on it. :D

I personally wouldnt charge.. especially if it was a friend

607066[/snapback]

On your side, a real friend wouldn't have asked for money.

I never ask my friends or family for anything.

607330[/snapback]

:withstupid: Although there are some situations and circumstances where friends should charge friends, but this is not one of them.

607331[/snapback]

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

Man, maybe I should be more thankful for the calibur of friends I have. Charging friends for help? That's just lame. Like really lame.

I help my friends with computers, they help with my cars, etc. Maybe I'm too nice like Clay, but if a friend needs (or even just wants) my help, I'm there. If my roommates car breaks down at 2am and he needs a ride, I grab my coat. I'll classy lady and moan the whole way there and back, but I'll go. I guess maybe that's because I know they'd do it for me. Like I said, maybe I should be more thankful than I am.

I don't even charge casual-work-friend type people for building PCs. I jump on newegg or the like, put the whole thing together, they pay, I build it, the end. Seriously, how long does the whole shopping and building process take for someone who knows what they're doing? 3hrs max? Come on. They usually buy me lunch or something like that and that's more than I'd ever ask for.

Anyways, that's my rant, but I agree with the guys above. Charging friends for help is just out of the question, for me at least.

it all depends on who it is you are helping. If its a close friend don't charge. Otherwise, find a way to make it worth your while. You'll regret it if you run into problems and no one is paying u to spend hours troubleshooting.

He has the ability to build it himself, but he doesnt want to. I never charge my friends, but in this case I would, cause it seems like he is too lazy to do it himself and doesnt want to waste his time, but he wont mind wasting yours instead.

Happy New Year!!!

I would definitely charge, if I am using my time to do something that another person could easily do themselves or it would cost a lot more if he went to a company to do, then heck yes I would charge. I would just charge w/e it takes to bring the total to a nice, even amount.