Sign in to follow this  
BloodySunday

Would You Charge?

last time I built a PC for a friend, I didn't ask for anything in return, and he slipped me a 20 before I left...

But yea, close friend, I wouldn't charge. But if it's someone that, you know, gets on your nerves alot, then I'd definitely charge. Make him think twice before being so freaking lazy.

Hey, when you build a computer for a friend or family or whoever you know, do you also overclock it or just leave it stock to be on the safe side. Or you just oc the [email protected] out of it behing their back just to see how much it takes and then when it seems like time to give back, you hand it over to them on stock speeds? :rolleyes:

I think $50 is a fair amount to charge, in fact that's what I charge and I think it is more than fair considering it takes about 3 hours to do it.

That's if you don't have to go picking up parts and then the price goes up.

I look at it this way, they don't have the time to do it and they are the kind that don't enjoy doing it, and of course they don't want to learn (which I always ask if they would like me to show them how), they have MONEY and are always paying people to do things for them because they don't want to.

So I think then I should get a little something for my time.

I would'nt ask them to do something like that for free, but then again, I would want to learn and expect the help to be free.

And-- If I did'nt enjoy doing it I would'nt do it for only $50 either. :P

In my opinion $50 is a deal for a friend. It costs a lot more to have a custom build somewhere else. Just think of the time that you will invest in doing it for him, not to mention that you will probably become his 24/7 tech support.

I have helped out friends and co-workers with everything from complete reinstalls to component upgrades as well as donating parts and building pc's for thier small children. The gratitude they show and smiles are a price i'm willing to work for. The other thing is i love putting the hardware together thats the joy i have. If a little something comes my way so be it.

Im building my friends one, and their going to give me 200 bucks........but their kinda rich

but i offered to do it for free

i find that the actual advise for building computers (like whats best and stuff) which I know pretty well, is worth more and takes more experience than the actual physical building of a computer

well it dep. what i do is ill say 1500$ and ill give them everything, or if it is a gaming rig ill say 2000

608552[/snapback]

thats what i do, ill price out a pc, say the grand total comes to 1170 ill say 1200. now i only do that to the people i just "know". if its a close friend or a relative, i wont charge.

I say charge him $50. Thats just the bench fee at all the repair shops around town, to get them to even tuch the inside is $75+

Or you could charge him cost +5%

As most people here..we all have opinions. Kinda like....Well you know.

But to answer; I like the answer of doing it for freinds. Depending apon what this freind means to you. Is it a give/take relationship? Do you two hang out together all the time? Or does this friend come around once in awhile.

Basically, weigh everything out. Try to keep money out of the equation when deciding. Figure how this whole process can benefit you both in ways that are longer lasting than money. Money will devastate in hidden ways if something were to happen.

I like the answer on having the friend sit with you to watch you build this comp. That way he can learn. Which brings back what I said about you "the benefits". As the metaphor states: killing numerous birds with one stone.

1.) You're not only building a comp but, you're building a stronger freindship along the way.

2.) He is learing

3.) You are learning

4.) If he pays attention he'll be able to fix it himself, if needed

The benefits are endless. I wish you both Good Luck. Have a great New year and start it off right by making a good, positive decision that will make you both happy in the end. Remember; Friendship is more important than a Computer. (can't believe I said that :huh:)