New Computer

CheeseMan42

So here is what I plan on buying tomorrow or today, depending on when I get feedback.

Processor (Not sure on which one):

A64 Venice 3500+

- or -

Opteron 148

- or -

A64 San Diego 3700+

Motherboard

DFI Ultra-D - Don't plan to get another card so this is fine

Ram

2GB OCZ Platinum PC3200

Video Card

PNY 7800GT

- or -

BFG 7800 GT

Case

CM Stacker

Power Supply

I already got a 500W Antec SmartPower 2.0

CPU Cooling

WC Setup from Danger Den

Hard Drives

Have these as well

Other

Lite On DVD Burner

I'm going to be buying a few silent fans as well. Basically, Which of the three processors is the best overclocker, and did I forgot anything? Is there anything that isn't compatible?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Opteron 148 is the best for overclocking tho not with that ram... you'll bet running a divider with like 1:2... you may wanna check into some higher priced 2x1gb kits rated at ddr500(i know crucial has one)

The 3700 sd over the 3500 venice anyday, also you may wanna look into a sli board, maybe some time in the future you may wanna go into sli

Definitely go with the opty :) and everything else looks very good! But instead of that OCZ ram, maybe go with some nie G.SKills, Patriot or something else of that sort :)

Sounds like a very sweet rig! make sure youget pics up! :D

DOOOO NOTTTTT go with the opteron I have overclocked one in my past and the results were fatal it friend my motherboard and fan connectors. Go with AMD 64 San Diego 3700+ becuase its the most stable one i have tested :D

DOOOO NOTTTTT go with the opteron I have overclocked one in my past and the results were fatal it friend my motherboard and fan connectors. Go with AMD 64 San Diego 3700+ becuase its the most stable one i have tested :D

607074[/snapback]

and that just proves that your... nvm... must be nice today :unsure:

and that just proves that your... nvm... must be nice today :unsure:

607075[/snapback]

lol :withstupid: I was thinking the same thing...

Nearly all of that stuff was a lot cheaper on Chiefvalue about a week ago. I'm too lazy to check right now. If I remember correctly, that mobo was about $120... Take a look.

Go with the sandy. they oc just as well as the oppy.

607089[/snapback]

i'm sorry but show me a sandy that does 3.0ghz+ on air with little voltage adjustment, than look at all the optys in harnrgs thread that have done this, i'm not saying this is impossible but people just see more optys hitting those speeds than SDs

i thought OCZ made good ram? hmm... which of these is best?

OCZ Titanium PC3200

Corsair XMS PC4000

OCZ Gold PC4000

OCZ Gold GX PC4000

Mushkin eXtreme PC4000

G.Skill Extreme PC4000

I thought that lower timings were better, but if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Also, keep in mind that I will be using liquidcooling, if that makes any difference in chip choice. Also, any comments on the liquid cooling setup?

And I'd be glad to put picks up but alas, no camera.

Would getting 1GB ram be better? I'm just thinking that 2GB will be best for gaming, especially when more games like BF2 come out.

Also, instead of the above vid card, im thinking about BFG 7800 GT instead

607074[/snapback]

What are you talking about? The Opterons work fine, in fact better than the Sandies for overclocking. Ask hardnrg, he got one to 3.0GHz stable on air cooling. I'd say more, but my warn level leaves me no room for error >.>

Supposedly Corsairs don't mix well with that DFI mobo when it comes to OCing... the G.Skill seems to work great with Opty's.

Definetly get 2GB if you can. It'll ensure that you have a good system for a while, since so far the only huge games I've heard of coming soon are UT2k7 and FarCry 2.