Removing Ihs?

fumduck

whoa talk a bout a confusing post. I think you mean how do you remove the heat sinc from the processor? well it depends on if you have an amd or an intel, and it shouldnt require removing the fan. after you get it off just apply paste (make sure you use the right amount-google)then put it back on, i twist it a little bit to make sure its got a good seal.

lapping is just sanding the hs down really really smooth to almost a mirror smooth finish

Edited by JerrDogg77

I think you mean how do you remove the heat sinc from the processor?

606822[/snapback]

No. He asked how to remove the IHS. A guide can be found here. That guide is courtesy of hardnrg.

lapping is just sanding the hs down really really smooth to almost a mirror smooth finish

606822[/snapback]

Yes. The idea is to get your heatsink contact surface to be as smooth and flat as possible for the best possible heat transfer. A thread discussing this can be found here.

nrg i believe he is talking more about the heatsink itself...

and dude you're just being vague!

yes, thermal paste! always always always.

lapping = taking the base of your heatsink and sanding it down with really high grit sandpaper to get rid of the grooves in there where heat gets trapped and it helps your temperature.

Yes that's very possible. I've done them both and I've found that the razor blade seems to go much quicker, and only requires one person. The thread or floss method requires 2 people, one to hold the cpu, one to saw with the string. This also takes longer, but there is no risk of damaging a capacitor network on the chip by hitting it with the razor. Just have to be careful with the pins either way, but yes the dental floss method is very much possible and effective.

OK

I've just tried the floss with my Socket478, wont budge.

608024[/snapback]

wtf thats bad ive cut a soft welding rod with a floss saw before also a cow's bone (dont ask) that must be stuck good and proper.