Psu Mobo Compatibility

My friend and I are each building our first comptuers and we decied to do it together and his PSU that he orderd has a 20 pin connector and his mobo needs a 24 pin. I didnt realize this when he orderded it and I was wondering if there is a connector he can order or is he screwed.

Please dont insult or flame because we are both new at this.

-Thanks

Oh yea and I got mine right so if you want to yell at someone direct it torwards him :P

My friend and I are each building our first comptuers and we decied to do it together and his PSU that he orderd has a 20 pin connector and his mobo needs a 24 pin.  I didnt realize this when he orderded it and I was wondering if there is a connector he can order or is he screwed.

Please dont insult or flame because we are both new at this.

-Thanks

Oh yea and I got mine right so if you want to yell at someone direct it torwards him :P

606654[/snapback]

it depends really on the setup, but people usually say its best if you do get a 24 pin psu

whats the specs? Vid card, CPu, mobo?

Guest Raven65

You can buy a 20 to 24 pin converter on newegg. but i would just recommend to send the psu back and order a 24 pin version.

I agree with everyone else. It is best to use what is required. The 20-24 Pin converters are really a waste of money. All they do is draw more current from exsisting Lines on the 20 Pin connector, which can lead to instability.

I believe it depends on the specs of the computer and some amount of chance/luck. Some people are running DFI boards with 400w, 20-pin PSUs without any problems...

Your best bet is to use what's recommended though. Get a 24-pin PSU if you can.

Edited by Bleeble