Seagate Named Company Of The Year

Vasto

I don't know if anyone else here reads Forbes, but Forbes recently named Seagate company of the year. In the article they speak of new technologies coming up in the near future. The article can be read here.

EDIT: To avoid having to subscribe, use BugMeNot

Edited by Vasto

if these technologies are "coming up in the near future" then why are they "company of the year" NOW?? I can't read the article you linked to because I'm not a subscriber, but I'd like to hear why exactly they'd be name company of the year, as I can't recall hearing anything about them over the past year except recently about their acquisition of Maxtor.

What about nVidia and SLI?

Or AMD and their dual-core cpu's?

(I think both were this year, right?)

I dunno, seems kind of an odd choice. And is this also just for technology companies, or every industry?

SLI = OLD school technology... aka 1995. besides Nvidia didn't create it

dual core = OLD school technology... aka 1994 when DEC did it

and the big thing seagate has done is successfully stave off WD and the monster that is toshiba / samsung (2 years from now they will be a giant in storage, unrivaled in the world... aka the reason maxtor agreed to become part of seagate). the aquisition of maxtor gives them many new avenues to persue. solid state drives, and fluid bearings for hard drives, SAS, and most of all the maxtor / quantum plant fiber project. using a postage stamp size piece of plant material to store 1 tb of data or more. no moving parts, self repairing and faster than solid state storage by 100x's over (don't ask for details I don't have any, and YES there are of course drawbacks / issues with this technology still)

if these technologies are "coming up in the near future" then why are they "company of the year" NOW??  I can't read the article you linked to because I'm not a subscriber, but I'd like to hear why exactly they'd be name company of the year, as I can't recall hearing anything about them over the past year except recently about their acquisition of Maxtor.

What about nVidia and SLI?

Or AMD and their dual-core cpu's?

(I think both were this year, right?)

I dunno, seems kind of an odd choice.  And is this also just for technology companies, or every industry?

606495[/snapback]

Use BugMeNot

SLI = OLD school technology...  aka 1995.  besides Nvidia didn't create it

dual core = OLD school technology...  aka 1994 when DEC did it

and the big thing seagate has done is successfully stave off WD and the monster that is toshiba / samsung (2 years from now they will be a giant in storage, unrivaled in the world...  aka the reason maxtor agreed to become part of seagate).  the aquisition of maxtor gives them many new avenues to persue.  solid state drives, and fluid bearings for hard drives, SAS, and most of all the maxtor / quantum plant fiber project.  using a postage stamp size piece of plant material to store 1 tb of data or more.  no moving parts, self repairing and faster than solid state storage by 100x's over (don't ask for details I don't have any, and YES there are of course drawbacks / issues with this technology still)

606697[/snapback]

okay, but afaik, the SLI nvidia uses is completely different than the one 3dfx used, so I'd still consider it "new." And I'm not debating Seagate is doing well, but if it's not seen in the immediate, why award them now? Just holding their own shouldn't qualify for "company of the year"

Guest Raven65

Well after maxtor was aquired by segate I guess I'll switch to segate on my next hd purchase. Hows their tech support and rma program?

okay, but afaik, the SLI nvidia uses is completely different than the one 3dfx used, so I'd still consider it "new."  And I'm not debating Seagate is doing well, but if it's not seen in the immediate, why award them now?  Just holding their own shouldn't qualify for "company of the year"

606725[/snapback]

i dont think so, the interface was pci back then, not pci-e BUT, they still used the link chip between the 2 cards and everything, except it was a ribbon cable i think. I have 2 of the 3dfx voodoo2 cards. the major difference was that it was only 3d, you had to have a seperate card for the 2d display.

okay, but afaik, the SLI nvidia uses is completely different than the one 3dfx used, so I'd still consider it "new."  And I'm not debating Seagate is doing well, but if it's not seen in the immediate, why award them now?  Just holding their own shouldn't qualify for "company of the year"

606725[/snapback]

The reason is because when Forbes says "Company of The Year" they are also taking into consideration the management. If you read the article, you will see the major changes in Seagate. Such as any of thier production lines can make any of thier other products. Seagate is versitable. When the iPod Mini was pulled in favor of flash drives, Seagate just switched the production line to a different produce. Not to mention all the money being poured into R&D.